Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What are the chances of my clutch still being good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the chances of my clutch still being good?

The guy that pulled my tranny for the rebuild said that my clutch looks brand new. The guy i bought it from said it was pretty new and i have only put a few thousand miles on it. But it was always real spongy and would grind going into 3rd, 4th, 5th but i believe that was because the slave was bad and leaking fluid everywhere. So, i guess what im trying to say is that money is tight and if the clutch looks good should i still replace it while i have the tranny out? I will be replacing all of the hydrolics.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

What clutch is it? Can you get some pics of it? The mushy feeling is very likely hydraulic in nature and you will remedy this when you install new components. In truth, if the clutch looks good then why replace it (and this is coming from a clutch guy). It really just depends on the shape that the unit is in. I hope this helps. Thanks,
Old 04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to mic the disc to really determine how much life is left in the clutch. Check the flywheel and pressure plate for excessive heat spots, compare the disc thickness against specs, and check for any signs of fluid contamination in the disc material. If you don't see anything bad you should be fine.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Mic'ing the disc will provide info on disc wear but remember the surface of the flywheel and plate should also be checked for wear and dish as well.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, flatness on the PP and flywheel are big factors. Also checks for cracks or checking on either wouldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: What are the chances of my clutch still being good?