Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse????

Transmission will not go into reverse, it grinds and pops out as soon as the clutch starts to grab. I have just replaced the clutch, master and slave which has accomplished absolutely nothing. Synchros? I am not sure, but I am hoping I will not have to rebuild the transmission. It is also grinding 5th gear on occasion. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

FAQ its big, its bright, its orange...https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/510788-manual-transmission-faq-look-here-first.html
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

It could also be the fork pads. Mine does the same thing.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Yes, well unfortunately the faq does not have a section for actually being able to try to figure out what is going on. But since it is big, orange and at the top of the page I read it first It just says what may be going on. I would rather not have to ship the tranny out to find out what the problem is if there is a way to diagnose it myself. Any suggestions are welcome, but for now I will go push my car out of the parking lot and go to work.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is really no way of diagnosing it yourself but I can tell you Reverse is common for having issues with popping out of gear. There is a ring on the back of the slider. When it moves it can cause issues with popping out of gear. There could also be broken keys in the slider or the outer hub of the slider could be damaged. Either way you are going to have to tear it down if you want it fixed. There are no other ways to diagnose it without taking the tailshaft housing off.

Amber
Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I guess that I will be giving you guys a call when I get the money together. No house this year......
Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately this is one of the easiest internal components to fix because it's right there after you take the tailhousing off. I had a shop do mine for the same problem before I got the courage to really get into the internals. After I realized how easy it was I felt dumb for wasting the labor money.

In my case it was a reverse synchro and gear that got replaced. The gear mostly because I drove on it like an idiot.