Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Clutch Questions

I recently installed a TR 224 cam. After the install the clutch started slipping. It slips at low rpms but then catches close to 2000 rpms and bogs back down. It doesn't feel like it slips at high rpms, but it's hard to tell. I have done the low speed tests to see if the clutch slips, but it doesn't slip to high RPM's, it always catches. It feels like I have to baby the clutch in first gear, and not let it out fast to get going. The clutch engages high on the pedal. Does this mean my clutch is bad, or could it be the slave or master cylinder? How do you check the master cylinder? I'm going to bleed the clutch soon to see if that works. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First step, check fluid condition and level. If the fluid's low you've got a leak. If it's black and nasty, flush and refill with clean fluid, then bleed.

To test the master disconnect the line from the slave. Try and depress the master. If you can push it down with normal pressure either the master has a bad seal or there's air in it.

Your description of the problem is a little difficult to understand. I'm assuming you've got your foot all the way off the clutch by 2000 rpm and when you hit the gas the RPMs rise but you don't go any faster? That would be a slipping disc and would be unrelated to the hydraulic system. That's a worn disc/pp/flywheel issue. A slipping clutch will usually exhibit itself at low speed low rpm full throttle in 6th accelerating up to around 55 or 65 mph but you're saying you don't see this happening?