Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Racheting sound now clutch pedal high

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Racheting sound now clutch pedal high

My boss pulled up on my clutch pedal and it made a racheting sound.

Now the clutch pedal is about an 1 1/2" above the brake pedal?

The car still shifts and drives ok but the pedal is to high up.
There is a switch above the pedal I think it's for the cruise control (I do not have this option) does this double as a stop? I'm sure the sound was from the plastic threads slipping through the jam nut.

Can I just depress the pedal, open the bleeder to purge the exess fluid and re-adjust the switch to it's original location?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The switch above the clutch pedal is the clutch safety switch, and you're right, that's what the noise was. It doesn't double as a stop, it's there to make sure that the clutch is depressed in order to start the car. If I recall right the switch should be depressed when the clutch pedal is sitting at the top of its travel. Pull the switch and let the clutch come all the way to the top of it's travel, adjust the switch so it's slightly depressed. You'll know you have it right if you can only start the car with the clutch in.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Well, you see that is the problem. The pedal is at the top of it's travel which is about 1 1/2" above the brake pedal. shouldn't it be about even with the brake pedal?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fuel man
Well, you see that is the problem. The pedal is at the top of it's travel which is about 1 1/2" above the brake pedal. shouldn't it be about even with the brake pedal?
i'm having a similar problem. my clutch pedal is a little higher than my brake pedal. it used to be at least an inch lower? is this really bad? i'm putting in an aftermarket mcleod clutch kit within the next 2 weeks so i dont know if this is an issue or not. i just want to make sure nothing is terribly wrong.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Teching In

When you replace the clutch do yourself a favor and replace the SLAVE and MASTER. It turned out that the master that I got from the parts store was boxed wrong. The rod was about 1/2" longer than the stock one. The racheting sound was due to my boss pulling up on the pedal trying to connect the clutch rod to the pedal. The racheting sound was the "CLUTCH ANTICIPATION SWITCH"
which is threaded though a plastic insert above the clutch pedal.

THE FIX
I used the **Stock Adjustable Master Cylinder Writeup** sticky located in the Manual Transmission section. This was so easy and worked like a charm.
The "CLUTCH ANTICIPATION SWITCH" should be fully compressed against the stop on the pedal arm with the clutch pedal released.

Quick Reply: Racheting sound now clutch pedal high