Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad clutch, shifter or what???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad clutch, shifter or what???

Well im having some problems shifting my car at the moment. The car does not like to go into 1st gear when im at a stop, and most times wont go into reverse with the engine running, I normally have to kill it to get it in reverse. Once Im rolling down the street the car shifts pretty normal but is a little hard to go into 2nd gear, it never feels like the clutch is slipping either. The other gears are like normal as far as I can tell. I really havent noticed much else, but it seems like my clutch engages a bit closer to the floor that it used to, but im not positive since I dont drive it often (3k miles in 9 months).

When I noticed the problem about a month and a half ago I check the clutch fluid, and it was low. So I added the correct fluid up to the correct fill line. When I did that it did get a little better but not much. Im not sure if it could be air in the lines that is affecting me possibly.

Im not sure if a shift fork could be bent, but thats what a friend told me it could be.

The car has 29k miles, stock clutch, and shifter nothing changed as far as drivetrain.

so what do you guy think im looking at clutch, shifter, both, or more than that?

Any help will be appriecated.

The original thread is in the cadillac section heres a link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/735210-problems-shifter-clutch-what.html

thanks for any help

Last edited by BaddillaK; 06-20-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
King of the radial tires

Step one is to invest $10 and 60-90 minutes of your day to clean up you clutch fluid. It should be rendered back to the same color as when poured from the can.

Here is the procedure and a little background: Taking Care of Your Clutch

Clutch fluid change - (pics)

You may totally clear up the problem by doing this. If not, move on the other, more expensive and intrusive remedies.

Let us know what you find when you inspect the fluid again.

Ranger
Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep exactly you have hydraulic issues, you need to take care of the fluid first & see if it alleviates your issues.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Ranger I went ahead and cleaned the fluid in the manner you stated in the post, and it did get a little better, it does go into reverse while started about 50% of the time just pushing it somewhat firmly, and other times i just blip the throttle about 2 or 3 hundred rpm and it goes in. Still must be a problem, what do you think my next step should be
Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like slave issues....I'm going through a similar problem right now. Reverse sometimes wants to pop out and 3rd is really hard to get in especially if I'm on the throttle. 4th wants to pop out also if I'm slowing down.

The only thing different for me is that I am leaking fluid under the car. You said that your fluid was low at one point so it's leaking somewhere. I'd imagine you have some excess fluid in your bellhousing. Only way to find out is to drop the tranny and inspect it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not sure if mine was leaking before, I only put about 3k miles in the last 9 months so its hard to tell. But I had never checked it when I purchased the car used. so it may have been leaking before. Is a slave cylinder something that would be warrantied, or is it like the rest of the clutch system?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Leaking fluid is a strong evidence of a failed/failing slave cylinder. You need to have this replaced and the move on to checking other potential issues. Slaves are a known issue on LSX cars. Once this is done let us know if the issue persists. Thanks!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Indeed that sounds a LOT like the issues I was having, especially with reverse. I had a faulty slave, among other things!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BaddillaK
Is a slave cylinder something that would be warrantied, or is it like the rest of the clutch system?
The slave isn't warrantied. Sponsors carry them in stock or you can go to your local gm dealer and get one.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much am I looking at for a slave from a sponsor or the dealer? what about install pretty basic part change along with bleeding system or do I have to drop the trans?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much am I looking at for a slave from a sponsor or the dealer? what about install pretty basic part change along with bleeding system or do I have to drop the trans?

You're probably looking around $130+tax/shipping for the part. Bad part is that you have to drop the trans to get to it. If you've done that before then it shouldn't be hard at all. 2 bolts hold the slave on and it's a matter of just unbolting those and disconnecting the slave line. Replace and put everything back on.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I never have drop a trans, I know its not that hard to do, but I have no lift access trans jack or the other equip that makes the job worth doing yourself. About how much does it cost to get it done at a shop?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Launching!

its the slave cylinder, and throwout bearing. if you buy a new slave it will come with the throwout. yes you would have to drop the tranny. if you are going to pay the money now for the install, i would get a stronger clutch if you dont already have one.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I never have drop a trans, I know its not that hard to do, but I have no lift access trans jack or the other equip that makes the job worth doing yourself. About how much does it cost to get it done at a shop?
At one point neither did I. All you need it some jack stands and a couple of jacks to get the job done. It's not that bad, you'll just need someone to help you out. I've dropped an automatic laying on gravel with the above before and an A4 is a lot heavier then a M6.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Ok stupid question... why do you need a couple of jacks? If you're supporting the car with jack stands (which you definitely need to be doing), why can't you get away with just one jack?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustinID
Ok stupid question... why do you need a couple of jacks? If you're supporting the car with jack stands (which you definitely need to be doing), why can't you get away with just one jack?
You can....but some jacks have a small "lift" area...some jacks have bigger ones. Trying to balance the tranny on a smaller one could be a pain that's why I said use a couple. Especially with a guy that's never done it before.

Maybe a better route is to just use a 2x4 to support the back part of the tranny until you get it unbolted. Is that better? lol
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

That would be your clutch, im going through the samething
Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I replaced the clutch on mine thinking it was the problem. I have no leaks on the slave so I didn't replace it(I guess bad move). I was still having a hard time shifting to first or reverse. I tried to drive it for a couple of miles with no luck. I had to go away for a month so i had the car sitting. When I came back I drove it again and everything was shifting fine, first and reverse shifts like brand new, but after 2 weeks of driving her. Shifting to reverse is starting to get hard again. I checked fluid and it's all black, I will try and do Rangers suggestion and keep you guys posted

woohooo first post