Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help to bleed clutch slave!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to bleed clutch slave!

Well, I replaced the clutch in the LT1 and found out that my slave cylinder was toast. I am getting a new one in the next few days, and was wondering how to bleed them. If anyone knows how that would be a big help! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's like the LS1's T56, then read the stickies. It's in 3 out of 5 of them.

Like the stickies say, I'd consider installing a remote bleeder.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Well, it's not like the LS1's. It has a external slave. It doesn't show any valves to open and close to bleed it.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you post/search on Camaroz28.com? Might if you don't get a answer here.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, check Cz28.com, more LT1 orientated.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Launching!

gm recommends replacing them as a complete unit with the slave and master cylinder all ready together, filled with fluid and bleed.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to bleed the LT1 slave you need to install it in the car, after you've yelled multiple profanities for an hour to get the U bolt through the firewall and everything is tightened up you leave the slave loose.
Go get your wife/girlfriend/buddy/neighbor... whoever doesn't hate you yet. Remove the rubber diaphragm from the reservoir. Hold the slave vertical with the pushrod facing down and depress the pushrod, hold, have the helper replace the diaphragm then release the pushrod on the slave. Tell helper you appreciate their assistance, notify them they are not done.
Now hold the slave vertical and depress the pushrod repeatedly. Have your helper watch for air bubbles. Keep a container of brake fluid available to add to the reservoir and make sure you explain to helper that it needs filled if it goes below this line on the side of the reservoir. Keep your head away from the firewall to keep your helper from spilling brake fluid in your face. Do not get agitated when helper spills brake fluid in your face.
When you think you have it bled, bolt it to the bellhousing, check the clutch pedal, curse a couple times and unbolt it from the bellhousing and depress the pushrod more times to try to work the rest of the air out. Do not get agitated when your helper complains they've been leaning over the fender for too long and their back hurts or that their hands are dirty. Do not complain to helper your arms are tired, you've been out there three times as long to get everything installed and you have a raw spot on your hand from pushing aforementioned pushrod, they will say you are trivializing their discomfort and be insulted. Repeat as many times as necessary. I believe last time took about an hour with a friend. Thank your helper, spend the next week trying to make them not hate you.

Keep in mind it would be in your best interest to not use any helper that is female if at all possible.

In theory you can bench bleed them, but I've never had any luck, always manage to spill the fluid while installing it in the car.