Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Buying a TWIN DISK...which Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a TWIN DISK...which Brand?

I want to hear from people who are running the twin disk type clutches....Which ones are working for recreational driving and occasional track visits. I think I fried my LS7 clutch.

Mcleod Street Twin
Spec Super Twin 3+
Ram Street Twin Disk

These are the 3 different clutches that I am considering..I would like to hear some real world results from these clutches.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I heard that the textralia clutches have excessive rattle from the floater plate.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
This is our best selling dual disc setup. If you have questions, shoot me a call. Thanks.

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4231
I would go with this one.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

does anyone have any experience with these as well? I am in the same boat you are. Looking for a twin disk setup. Heard the same thing about the aussie cluthes too. So i am not even considering them. Have you looked at the rst and rsx cluthes from mcleod? Arent these a twin setup? Some one on here said you could get them for around $700. But i have yet to find a place that has prices posted.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

no I have not looked at the rst or rsx clutches from Mcleod...I would like to get some info on them too.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 25thredrs
no I have not looked at the rst or rsx clutches from Mcleod...I would like to get some info on them too.
I run the Mcleod street twin in my vette putting out 550/520 + RWHP (Mustang Dyno)with no issues at all,just love that clutch. I blew the imput shaft out of my T56 and while the drive train was apart I had W2W take a look at the clutch. This clutch has over 4000 miles on it and they said it looked brand new. If your running over 450 RWHP I would seriously consider buying the Mcleod street twin.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

that helps....thanks a lot
Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the tex twin from Byunspeed. Pedal pressure is medium heavy. I think it will hold my planned power..around 850 rwhp occasionally with my aps twins on a 408 or 427 maybe small shots of spray. The floater rattle is annoying and is there whenever you press in the pedal. Its not a nice mechanical noise more a rattle than a whirr..whirr would sound ok. Its sort of like a ati supercharger idle rattle.Don't like that much either. Also the tex at 800 or so miles is not that streetable. It can be annoying going onto drive on hoists and in heavy traffic.
But textralia has another option now. They have carbon /kevlar full face sprung discs for the twin. Peter said it brought down noise significantly and is more streetable at the expense of a little power handling. I got some of these discs. Tex should offer them now as option with the twin like they do the z and x grip. I don't understand why they are sort of keeping these discs secret sort of. I wanted a high power but streetable clutch and these discs could be the answer. There is another recent post from guy that put these in and says they are smooth and think quieter than the standard metallic discs.
So its time for tex to offer the twin both ways and put prices on these carbon/kevlar discs. I think a lot of people would like the option.
I have no complaints for textralia after sales service. Peter has been great guy and personally helped and talked to me a few times.
But I one small complaint. Neither tex nor Byunspeed has ever sent me written or emailed instructions for the tex twin .I got none with it and tex should put twin instructions on their site. I think there may be some differences from the single instructions but not sure. It would have been nice to have torque specs at least.

So Byun if you are reading this please forward me by paper or email some twin instructions or post them on your website or tell tex to post them on its website .
And beg or persuade tex to price the twin with the carbon/kevlar option.

If the carbon kevlar don't take away enough of the floater noise then tex should do a redesign as fidanza, ram etc advertise they have no or very little floater rattle from their design. I was not made aware and had no clue about twin disc floater rattle. I might not have bought the standard twin tex if knew about it. I don't like it much. Its not super loud you can drown it out with stereo and my exhaust cutout and as said think it does get a bit quieter when clutch warms up from driving a bit. Still quiet is better.

I may install my new carbon/kevlar discs shortly not sure yet. Wanted to maybe see if clutch gets a bit more street friendly with a few more miles.

Also the standard discs are supposed to take a bit more power. My car is 99% street car though and not overly worried in that department.

I have said though that if not totally happy with his whole clutch thing a 480 might be in my future. Autos are great in turbo cars. You can build boost at the line easier than standards and they stay spooled up bettter between the shifts.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

I already have a loud oil pump for the turbo...I dont need anymore loud annoying noises such as a rattling clutch....Thanks for the heads up on the new discs though...I may be interested in that.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by david vericker
I run the Mcleod street twin in my vette putting out 550/520 + RWHP (Mustang Dyno)with no issues at all,just love that clutch. I blew the imput shaft out of my T56 and while the drive train was apart I had W2W take a look at the clutch. This clutch has over 4000 miles on it and they said it looked brand new. If your running over 450 RWHP I would seriously consider buying the Mcleod street twin.

I have been running my same McLeod Street Twin Steel Flywheel since back in '03. I had it rebuilt last year for $300 through McLeod. It had about 15,000 street miles and probably over 300 runs, with no less than 500 rwhp. It's a heavy duty clutch, and it will take a beating!! When I had it rebuilt, I stabbed it in, put about a mile on it, loaded it in the trailor and took it to the track. Worked like a champ!!

I run this in my 408 car.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im looking at the mcleod rxt. says it can hold 1000hp and still have stock like pedal effort. seems too good to be true.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

I is sounding better and better...I hope it's just not to good to be true
Old 08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Where have you been checking out the rxt at? The only place i see that has them is byun speed. And they dont have a price on them yet. I emailed them today to get some more info on the clutch. I wanted to know the differences between the rxt and the street twin that sells for around $1400. And the price of the rxt. My spec is slipping bad after 6k. I am hoping to get my hands on an rxt this week
Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i was under the understanding it was the same price as the rst just a diff disc material. just like when i bought my single disc i had to choose disc material.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

does anyone know who has the best prices on some of these clutches.....especially the mcleod.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Ws6 store has the best price that i could find on the mcleod street twin. Matter of fact, i just bought one friday morning. I am tired of reasearching clutches. I called byunspeed about the rxt. They said there was no price cause it wasnt out yet. That explains it then. I spent an assload of $$$ on the street twin. But i figured go big or go home. Way to much clutch for my car. But i will throw some extra power on it hopefully by the end of this year. When i get it installed i will let everyone know how it is.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

I'm running the Tex Twin...huh no rattle here?????..........
Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Best price for all Mcleod is Summit.

RST # 6911-07 $675.69

RXT # 6921-07 $800 dollar range.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do any of these other twins offer something like what mcleod has? the 300 dollar rebuild price is what has me interested

Quick Reply: Buying a TWIN DISK...which Brand?