Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Hydraulic Fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Clutch Hydraulic Fluid!

At the begining of the summer I had the clutch in my 1998 Z28 replaced and with a Spec Stage 1 and also my clutch master cylinder replaced with that of a 2000 SS. The hydraulics were failing. Well, this morning I noticed there wasn't much resistance by my clutch. I got about half way to work when I relized I most likely didn't have any fluid. Sure enough, after driving home in 2nd gear I found the fluid resivoir empty! WHY!? Help me please. I had a Camaro shop install all of it. There had been no sign of problems. Any clues? Was it an install problem? Did I do it? Or is it normal to run out of hydraulic fluid?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Launching!

How is that POS Spec S1 working for ya. Worst Clutch I have ever had. Anyways. So your Res. was empty? Is there any signs of leaking from the Bell Housing? Are the Lines all clean and not full of fluid. get under there and look for signs of leaking. If it was full of fluid then it has to be leaking somewhere. It does not evaporate.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Teching In

The Spec Stage 1?.... Well, it still chatters after 5k miles if the air is on. But once I go to 2nd or 3rd it's great! I think I will just go stock LS7 or whatever next time. I've got to get off early today so I can get home with enough daylight to trouble shoot. I will post up what ever I find. The frustrating thing is that it has been running fine and all of a sudden this morning had nothing in it.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look for the fluid leak, it doesnt just eat fluid, if its low its leaking. You probably blew out the master or slave.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

I suspect a leaky slave. Master cylinders don't usually leak with that amount of volume.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Well, I was wrong. I got her into F-Body Motorsports where they put her up on the lift and identified the slave cylinder as the problem... So I get to dishout labor the second time in 6 months for dropping the transmission... The guys at the shop are nice though and looking to get it handled in a day or so! After this procedure all clutch hydraulics will have been replaced with those for a 2001. Should I see if they can do the drill mod while they have it tore apart?

Quick Reply: Clutch Hydraulic Fluid!