Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I need to shim my slave?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need to shim my slave?

Im a little confused on the shiming deal but if I have my clutch pedal pushed in all the way with being in 1st gear on a flat road I can rev the car up to 5k or so it will pull fwd a tad or I can feel the car lunge a little. This is because the clutch is not fully disengaging correct? Ive already bled the clutch and pretty much flushed the system cause I bled it for quite a bit. Other then what I just described above just driving around the clutch feels find, I have a good clutch pedal and the engagement point it good, Ive also got into a few races and had no problems with getting it into gear with shifts hitting about 6200k. So is this something I need to worry about. Am I causing any premature wear on the clutch. The only time Id ever take the engine that high is at the track which isnt too often but I do go. Thanks for any advice or tips!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

You shouldnt need a shim. If it wasnt disengaging properly then it would immediatly engage right off the floor, but you said pedal engagement is good right?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

yes pedal engagement is fine. I know what it feels like when it engages to early, I had that problem once before because my pressure bolts backed out a little, that was my fault though I didnt torque them properly. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt messing up my clutch because I read somewhere about having your car on a flat surface and putting it in gear with the clutch pushed in then reving it up, if the car pulls fwd then the clutch is not fully disengaging. Seems like mine is doing that, just at 5k...other then that it feels fine.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

If you have a non-gm clutch....then you DO have to shim the slave. Aftermarket clutch assemblies are lighter and thinner.....and without the shim, you will NOT get proper clutch disengagement. My buddy's car just underwent the same problems. There is a reason why aftermarket clutch manufacturers supply the shim, and why shops like Speed Inc sell the shim as an individual part. The reason is because aftermarket clutches REQUIRE the shim.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DarkC5
If you have a non-gm clutch....then you DO have to shim the slave. Aftermarket clutch assemblies are lighter and thinner.....and without the shim, you will NOT get proper clutch disengagement. My buddy's car just underwent the same problems. There is a reason why aftermarket clutch manufacturers supply the shim, and why shops like Speed Inc sell the shim as an individual part. The reason is because aftermarket clutches REQUIRE the shim.
Some require and provide the shim but some do not. If they supply it then use it, like all SPEC clutches require a shim but textrailia clutchs do not.

A blanket statment that all non gm clutches require it is not true.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the info, yes I have a textrilla. Sorry I didnt point that out, its in my sig but just there as "oz700". Anyway, so what should I do. Do I need to start looking into getting a shim? As long as Im not really hurting anything then I wont mess with it but if its gonna mess up the clutch or anything then I will take care of it and drop the damn tranny.