Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hydraulics blead, yet doesnt want to go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulics blead, yet doesnt want to go into gear

All of a sudden after downshifting one night and going wot my car didnt want to go into gear, like it had air in the clutch line. I had to force it into every gear, I blead it the next day and it started working perfectly, going into gear like butter. 2 days later it just gets stiff all over again. WTF!

I blead it 2 or 3 times now, completely, loosening the slave cylinder bolt, and mighty vacing the whole system, the thing is completely air free(you would think) THE PEDAL IS VERY STIFF, but now the shifter is hard as **** to push into gear, I have to force it, even when my clutch is completely to the floor, I try to put it in first, and the car starts moving a little bit when I do. Its trying to grind the syncros when I put it in reverse. I dont know where the problem is, its got a new master cylinder, slave cylinder with probably 400 miles on them, a new ram powergrip clutch with probably 800 miles on it, been working perfectly ever since installed. It cant have leaks because the fluid level doesnt drop, and i've seen no fluid collecting anywhere. Whats wrong with this thing!?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

For some reason your hydraulics aren't working. It's possible to have a seal in the master fail and it just pushes fluid back and forth inside the master. That's where I'd look first.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this method and see if it helps:

Gravity bleed it via the bleeder valve in the slave and continue to pour fresh fluid into the reservoir until it's flushed out. There will still be a small amount left in the master cylinder that will need to be flushed out as well. To do this, have the reservoir full, open the bleeder valve on the slave, have a buddy push the clutch in and hold it, then close the bleeder valve, and release the clutch. You'll need to do this several times to flush the old fluid out and allow the new fluid to enter the mc.

After all this THEN, I would do the mity vac process, and how I do that is....

Have a buddy in the car and with the mity vac fitting stuck down in the reservoir pumped it to 10 hg, and then have him SLOWLY push the pedal in and out. After a decent amount of slow pumps, release the pressure, make sure the reservoir is still full, and repeat another time or so for good measure.

I have had great results using Valvoline Synpower fluid. Also make sure to never let the fluid level in the reservoir get too low, or air will get back in the system and you'll have to start all over again. Why your down there wrap the stainless steel line with some heat reflective tape, some emissions hose, or something, and secure it as far away from the header as possible. This will keep the fluid from getting hot which breaks the fluid down faster causing poor clutch performance.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

you have air in the slave Brain is right. just went through that issue with a ls7 clutch. check out my post and results. not the gospel this just worked for me. have patience when blleeding the system.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks, i'll try this guys, I dont see how I could have air in the system since the pedal is super stiff and I mighty vac'd it untill no bubbles appeared and then some. I was thinking maybe its something to do with the clutch or throw out bearing? I'll try this and let you know how it works.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

nope its hydro
Old 12-26-2007, 02:06 PM

I did exactly what you said wilddawg, no luck, I think theres a tiny leak somewhere, I blead till there was no bubbles, then blead again, pumping up to 20 in. Some part of my hydraulics is f'd up. Fun stuff...
Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the pedal felt normal at first, but when the problem occured it became stiff? I know a lot of clutch/transmission problems are hydrolic related, but if so the pedal would probably feel soft, not stiff.

It is possible to have the problem you are seeing if the pressure plate is damaged in some way. Even one broken finger on the pressure plate could create enough drag to make the transmission difficult to engage into gear when the car is running. Also, if the pressure plate is damaged that could explain the stiff pedal.

Maybe its hydrolic, but the "stiff" pedal makes me think there is a problem with the pressure plate.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

if the pedal got stiff then the slave cylinder or pressure plate is bad. sounds like the clutch is not releasing far enough. If you sure you got the system bleed good then it is time to start replacing parts. how old is you clutch setup. if you have a few miles on it go with a ls7 set up and replace the slave cylinder and rebleed the system. if the master was bad you wouldn't have any pressure on the pedal.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:45 PM

No its not "stiff", its normal. That means it should go into gear and work correctly. Your exactly right, the clutch is "not" releasing far enough, thats why Its hard to get the thing in gear. I got underneath my car while my friend pumped the clutch and I could see the hydraulic line(going into the bellhousing) moving from the pressure. That indicates it is getting pressure. I dont f'ng get it.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pilot bearing could have crapped out. That's what mine did. No change in pedal, just little peices of broken needle bearings wedged between the crank and the input shaft so the clutch disc was always spinning. Its possible it's a problem with the pressure plate or something too, but that seems unlikely.

Quick Reply: hydraulics blead, yet doesnt want to go into gear