Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch fluid change..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch fluid change..

Aright guys well I think I need to change my clutch fluid, I know where its located and its not too dirty, but I was wondering what I need to do to change it? Should I just top it off or do I need to bleed it? Im pretty clueless on this topic so any help is appreciated
its for an 01 ss M6. Also, what is the clutch fluid of choice? thanks in advance....
Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bleed it through the slave cylinder!! its not as much of a bitch to do as everybody says but let me know if u run into any problems, and the fluid i have been using is prestone DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid! works great, i have heard that valvoline is bad so stay away from that!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

I would recommend gravity bleeding it via the bleeder valve in the slave and continue to pour fresh fluid into the reservoir until it's flushed out. There will still be a small amount left in the master cylinder that will need to be flushed out as well. To do this, have the reservoir full, open the bleeder valve on the slave, have a buddy push the clutch in and hold it, then close the bleeder valve, and release the clutch. You'll need to do this several times to flush the old fluid out and allow the new fluid to enter the mc.

After all this THEN, I would do the mity vac process, and how I do that is....

Have a buddy in the car and with the mity vac fitting stuck down in the reservoir pumped to 10 hg, and then have him SLOWLY push the pedal in and out. After a decent amount of slow pumps, release the pressure, make sure the reservoir is still full, and repeat another time or so for good measure.

I have had great results using Valvoline Synpower fluid. Also make sure to never let the fluid level in the reservoir get too low, or air will get back in the system and you'll have to start all over again. Why your down there wrap the stainless steel line with some heat reflective tape, some emissions hose, or something, and secure it as far away from the header as possible. This will keep the fluid from getting hot which breaks the fluid down faster causing poor clutch performance.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

spot on
Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

if you dont have to bleed the system, I would just use something like a turkey baster to pull the fluid out of the resivoir, or just put some paper towels in the clutch fluid resivoir to absorb it; that will remove the fluid. wipe it clean of that black crap and pour new fluid in there, put lid back on, then pump it up a bunch of times, repeat that process until the fluid is clear. just dont pump it up when theres no fluid in it! this way you dont have to crawl under the car. ive done this for myself and my friends and never had a problem. the only way air will get into the system this way is if u pump the pedal while theres no fluid in there.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned

can i just top the fluid off or is that a bad idea? It looks pretty good its just about halfway full so I thought it might be a little low....
Old 12-24-2007, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01riceeater
can i just top the fluid off or is that a bad idea? It looks pretty good its just about halfway full so I thought it might be a little low....
I would do the processes I mentioned. A little effort can go a long way in having your car perform properly. My .02
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

the stickys at the top have lots of good info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/510788-manual-transmission-faq-look-here-first.html

8. Maintain your clutch hydraulics by keeping the fluid clean through periodic clutch master fluid flushing.

Lots of problems with these transmissions are caused by hydraulic issues.
A good way to ward of problems is to maintain the clutch hydraulics fluid condition by flushing it through bleeding the system.
The fluid will eventually become contaminated. Flushing it out is the only cure.
Great info on these issues here, Thanks Ranger for the link!
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Quick Reply: clutch fluid change..