Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch issue (I read the FAQ, I swear!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch issue (I read the FAQ, I swear!)

Mine is typical, hard to get into gear, sticks halfway down when I'm driving agressively....but..

The drill mod was just done, along with a flush/bleed from a reputable shop.

It's got the newer '01+ parts on it, and a LS7 clutch.

Here's my question-

if I'm parked and I press and release the clutch... upon release, it comes about halfway backup smoothly and then "springs" back the rest of the way. Pushing down is pretty smooth through the whole travel.

Does this sound more like a MC issue or a slave issue? I'd really love it to be a MC for obvious reasons, I'll do what it takes to fix the problem, as it's the only thing I don't absolutely love about the car right now.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

I've been reading a lot about these symptoms, as mine does the same (no drill mod though) and many have said it's more than likely the master cylinder.

p.s. don't quote me as I am not a pro and am just replying what others have said.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might make sure your hydraulic lines are well insulated from the headers. When the pedal doesn't come back up it's got to be one of two things. One is the pressure plate springs are not working properly--which isn't likely in your case since it works properly some of the time and it's new. The other cause is a hydraulic pressure issue--as in loss of line pressure. The pressure plate pushes back on the throwout when you lift your foot off the pedal. The throwout moves back and the fluid pressure should push everything back to the way it was before you pushed the pedal down. If that's not happening, you have either a bad slave, a bad master or your clutch fluid is boiling. Spirited driving conditions generate lots of heat in the clutch area--as well as the headers. It could be a combination of these things too. That's how I see it anyways.

It's easy to eliminate heat with some insulation. The next easiest to fix is the master. Then it's time to pull the transmissions to do the slave. Hopefully it's not that pressure plate presuming it's new.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 464 Likes on 363 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

the pressure plate is getting weak. There is alot off people here ready to blame the hydraulics if there not leaking or haveing a blow through issue then the hydrualics are'nt the issue. If it's a sustained high rpm issue it's a week pressure plate. The fingers of the pressure plate suck in at higher rpm's and the slave( correct term would be hydraulic release bearing) can't reach the fingers of the p.p. That's why I put a 5.5" tilton race clutch in my car.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting.. however even when stopped, the clutch always feels like it never fully releases.. and it engages instantly off the floor.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 464 Likes on 363 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

what clutch is in it? I had a couple spec clutches and the pedal on them would very where it engaged aftter the p.p. got weak. They would last 20,000-25,000 miles before that would happen. Have you checked your fluid?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the LS7 clutch sitting on an aluminum flywheel

I just got the car Wednesday (it was serviced the Friday before), but I am going to be keeping a close eye on the level.

Murphy being as omnipresent as he is, I'm sure it's a slave cylinder issue..

It's not wrong of me to expect a clutch's PP to last more than 20k, right? (This is a DD, not something that's only taken out to drive hard)
Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update:
So I decided to flush the fluid out..

loosened the bleed valve and kept the reservoir full as it slowly drained out until I had put about 1/2 a pint through it..

Occasionally I'd push the clutch pedal, and oddly enough, the pedal didn't make ANY attempt to return up while the bleeder was cracked. The spring in the master should have done that...

Looks like I'm replacing the master, does that sound about right?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update:

It was the master... mostly. Dusty at Blazing High Performance installed a McLeod MC, and the pedal is 10x as good, and it shifts a helluva lot better.

However, there's still some funnyness at higher RPM's, and on the way home, in 3rd or 4th, above 4500rpm, the pedal would drop a little and the clutch would slip. I don't think it happens in 2nd because it goes through 2nd quickly.

But it's alot better, and is now driveable, but a new slave is in my future..