Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

has the drill mod worked for anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default has the drill mod worked for anyone?

my clutch sticks at redline and sometimes doesnt go in reverse. I dont have $ right now for a new slave, but i did get a brand new master from a friend who parted his car. Im going to do the drill mod along with the master..does anybody have any success stories with this free mod? thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone that I have heard from that did this says it is good. Also flush the fluid in your slave frequently. I just did it on mine but I am having issues so I have no "first hand" knowledge
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the drill mod to mine. However I dont know what a stock one feels like seeing as how i just got done swapping mine from an a4 to an m6..
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 AM
12 Second Club

anyone else?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

bump 4 ya.. going to be doing this when the header install goes in..

also wanted to drill a hole in my floor for easier bleeding anyone know where to drill. going to use one of the body plugs to seal the hole
Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

This is one of the most common and most recommended mods for the F-Body. Thousands of people have used this to successfully improve their high-RPM shifts. I for one can attest to the improvement it makes. At the same time...if you have an issue with your slave-cylinder (you mentioned that you will not be replacing it) the drill mod is not a fix. It is simply meant to be an improvement for properly functioning hydraulics. I am sure you know this but I wanted to make sure. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

i had success doin the drill mod! no more sticky pedel ANY MORE! but just as important as the drill mod is wrapping the clutch line with high temp wrap! now my fluid stays clear, it has not changed color yet!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

The drill mod worked great on my car.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

flush your hydraulic fluid and your tranny fluid...

Make sure you bleed the slave cylinder extremely well. Also as it was mentioned above, drilling a hole in the floorboard for bleeding save alot of headache.

The drill mod has many success stories, however if you think of it in the law of physics the drill mod will offer nothing for you. Reason being.

The drill mod allows fluid to transfer from the master to the slave faster. Everytime you press the clutch pedal down that fluid must transfer or the pedel will not depress. which means you are always transferring fluid at what ever rate of speed you depress the pedal. Also its a closed hydraulic system so the amount of fluid doesnt change.

then again I did the drill mod and it helped LOL until my clutch crapped out.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ae13291
i had success doin the drill mod! no more sticky pedel ANY MORE! but just as important as the drill mod is wrapping the clutch line with high temp wrap! now my fluid stays clear, it has not changed color yet!

what fluid ya running? and did you just put header wrap around it I was thinking about putting the stock EGR wrap around the line
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gun5
what fluid ya running? and did you just put header wrap around it I was thinking about putting the stock EGR wrap around the line
i have been running synthetic dot 4 since the day i got the car! it was always getting black even with the good fluid! i used aviation electrical heat wrap! its an orange tape, but the egr heat wrap would work perfect too if its long enough! you can also go to the junkyard and pull it off alot of cars there!yea im still using the dot 4 and its not changing its color any more! but i got to say if your doing the drill mod by yourself the hardest part is putting the U shaped stud back onto the slave feedinig it through the firewall! if its a two person job it will be easier. just follow the instructions on install university and you will be good to go
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

i have been running synthetic dot 4 since the day i got the car! it was always getting black even with the good fluid! i used aviation electrical heat wrap! its an orange tape, but the egr heat wrap would work perfect too if its long enough! you can also go to the junkyard and pull it off alot of cars there!yea im still using the dot 4 and its not changing its color any more! but i got to say if your doing the drill mod by yourself the hardest part is putting the U shaped stud back onto the slave feedinig it through the firewall! if its a two person job it will be easier. just follow the instructions on install university and you will be good to go
ya everyone who is saying there clutch fluid stays clear has it wrapped and SYN DOT 4... I know it boils higher and being wrapped probably helps it to.. ya going todo the drill mod myself.. probably going to pull the tranny tomorrow just for the hell of it to check the clutch read my other thread (burn't clutch is the title)
Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hope you know you're helping me with this real soon ara
Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

hahah no problem! il help u out man!! but your gonna be the one getting your hands dirty!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gun5
ya everyone who is saying there clutch fluid stays clear has it wrapped and SYN DOT 4... I know it boils higher and being wrapped probably helps it to.. ya going todo the drill mod myself.. probably going to pull the tranny tomorrow just for the hell of it to check the clutch read my other thread (burn't clutch is the title)
kool hope you have good luck. i also heard but i dont know if its true, if you go higher boiling point on the dot 3 or 4 fluid the more wear it is on the rubber seals in the system! so thats why im not switching over to anything else for now!

Quick Reply: has the drill mod worked for anyone?