Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changed my trans fluid today... not happy... D&D inside please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed my trans fluid today... not happy... D&D inside please...

I changed the fluid in my C5 today, I had about 8,000 miles on it since I had it rebuilt by D&D performance. I went all out with carbon fiber synchros, steel forks, 9130 mainshaft, billet blah blah blah... Anyways, I got under my car and started draining the fluid. I had ran mobil 1 as recommended, and it was a little too notchy for my liking. So anyways I start draining the fluid, and it came out purplish metallic brown! WTF! It was red when I put it in, and before I got it rebuilt it had 33K on it, and the old fluid came out red too!. Now, I have been driving manual transmissions for over 12 years and this is the 5th car that I have owned with a T56, the first 4 being Z28's or SS's, so it's a safe bet that I know how to shift and I'm not grinding gears. Why is my fluid this color, and what is all the metallic crap in there?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The metallic stuff I would think would be the new parts meshing together. It should clear up after the fluid change I would think. As far as it being brown ????? not sure unless it's from the heat of the tranny breaking itself in. That's the only thing I can think of right at the moment.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its prob all the new parts mating together. I would go with Pennzoil Synchromesh. I found mine to be 100% better in the notchy dept.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure its fine. Thats the same way mine looked after I changed out my mobil 1 atf. Sounds like we have the same hard parts. But besides being overly notchy, everyonce and a while I would get "locked" out of gears while powershifting. My tranny guy was the one who suggested changing the fluid b/c he thought the syncros were glazed and weren't able to mesh fast enough.