Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

two questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default two questions/problems

looking to buy a car.. just need to know how much it will cost me to fix, around

first, one of the gears has a bad syncro, i have no idea which one it is, but i think it may be 3rd gear

next, the car sometimes pops out of reverse when the car is under load (reversing on a hill, etc)... what can this problem be?

also, how much would the parts cost for me to fix the syncro/whatever is causing the shifter to pop ut of gear

thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

syncros are specific to gears, so if a gear is popping out, its the syncro for that gear. Reverse already has an issue where it's not perfectly aligned so even when its new it's not fully engaging. A worn syncro there would pretty much seal that fate.

Solution is to contact a sponsor like Tick or Sixspeeds (whichever is closer to you) and have them do a rebuild with their stage 1 kit. Should solve most of your problems there.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SladeX
syncros are specific to gears, so if a gear is popping out, its the syncro for that gear. Reverse already has an issue where it's not perfectly aligned so even when its new it's not fully engaging. A worn syncro there would pretty much seal that fate.

Solution is to contact a sponsor like Tick or Sixspeeds (whichever is closer to you) and have them do a rebuild with their stage 1 kit. Should solve most of your problems there.
so you are saying that the reverse thing is normal?

im not sure if the gear is popping out, or just grinding
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my syncros were worn on my reverse, I had to make sure I was IN reverse. If not, letting off the clutch would be a rude awakening to a grind and subsequent popping out of gear.

Telltale sign of a syncro going is the popping out of gear even though you could have sworn it went in.

Bleed the clutch first before ripping it all out. Sometimes if the clutch is dragging due to a problem in the hydraulics, getting it into gear will be harder than usual.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SladeX
When my syncros were worn on my reverse, I had to make sure I was IN reverse. If not, letting off the clutch would be a rude awakening to a grind and subsequent popping out of gear.

Telltale sign of a syncro going is the popping out of gear even though you could have sworn it went in.

Bleed the clutch first before ripping it all out. Sometimes if the clutch is dragging due to a problem in the hydraulics, getting it into gear will be harder than usual.
the reverse gear has a syncro?

i wasnt aware of this

i know on my car, since the clutch is bad, it is sometimes hard to get it to go into second, and when i let the clutch out 2nd grinds