Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch grabs low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default LS7 clutch grabs low?

Not my first clutch replacement, but 1st on lsx engine. I have a 00 ss and pulled the trans and replaced the clutch (pressure plate, flywheel, disk, slave cylinder) with all ls7 stuff from Scoggin. Didnt run into any problems everything when together great. Bled the system and the pedal feels great. Started it up on jackstands to make sure the clutch was full disengaging and is was. So I take it for a test drive and the clutch has to be fully depressed to release, and starts to grab litterally an inch off the floor. The pedal feels fine no free play or anything, I know this is not right it should grab in the middle of the pedal travel. Any suggestions or insite on this?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats completely normal, I had the same clutch in my 02' SS and its just seems to be the same on all the cars, grabbing close to the floor. Unfortunately it makes it a little bit harder to launch if your doing the 1/4 mile. So if you plan on doing that I would say switch it, but I got used it and worked out fine for me.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once it breaks in, it'll start to engage at the midpoint
Old 04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it doesn't drag and is completely released when the pedal is fully depressed, the install went fine. You'll know it's broken in once it grabs around the half way point. It's been almost a year and a half on mine and it's around the 2/3 point for engagement. Within 100 miles it'll adjust itself to the 30-40% area for release. 100 miles of stop/go traffic mind you, or in my case, 1.5 hours stuck on a bridge crossing into the states with a massive cramp in your clutch leg... but it broke in fine once I got off the bridge.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
As long as it doesn't drag and is completely released when the pedal is fully depressed, the install went fine. You'll know it's broken in once it grabs around the half way point. It's been almost a year and a half on mine and it's around the 2/3 point for engagement. Within 100 miles it'll adjust itself to the 30-40% area for release. 100 miles of stop/go traffic mind you, or in my case, 1.5 hours stuck on a bridge crossing into the states with a massive cramp in your clutch leg... but it broke in fine once I got off the bridge.

Yea I double checked that it is releasing fully with the rear up on jack stands and it is, I've driven it about 150 miles and it still feels like it starts to grab way too low, starts at about an inch off the floor and is fully released at about 35% off the floor
Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6

correct... give it a 100-200 miles and it will feel good...

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch grabs low?