Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hard into reverse after road course

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hard into reverse after road course

after driving home from a day at e-towns road course, i go to back into my driveway, but i can engage reverse. its like the gate wont open up, as if you were rolling forward too fast. i was stopped, double clutched, everything. i had to smack it with my left hand to move the stick over, and there was alot of resistance when it finally did move.

i think this was the first time i went into reverse all day. it was very hot, with a long drive in traffic, but its never done this before, and after a full track day? its the original fluid, 23K miles, 02 TA. any ideas? has this happened before?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the clutch switches on the pedal, purhaps one of them was pushed back out of the adjuster during all the clutching on the road course.

(How was the new E-town road course BTW? Between it and Thunderbolt, NJ is getting choice... ;-) )
Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

where are these switches located? there really wasnt alot of shifting on the course. i did 100x more clutching in parkway traffic coming home then i did all day at the track.

it wasnt bad. its rather tight, like a big autox with a long straight, and one long 18 deg. banked turn. i went for their HPDE class. only about 13 cars, lots of track time. if you get their license or have a comparable one, their 6hr track days are very cheap, only $125. Millville will be a much better place once its up and running. alot big, more configurations, etc. of course it was meant to be a real road course, and e-town was designed to be more of a big autox. if they make enough money, e-town will expand into the motox practice track, and make it into a real 3+ mile course. we can only hope.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Just did a quick google search and grabbed a pedal pic:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/john.e.willis/R...JPG?imgmax=640

The clutch pedal has a switch on the top for release, and one on the bottom for full on. It should be the bottom switch that activates the lock out solenoid on the reverse gate.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

i also threw codes after/during the race. one of them was P0801, reverse inhibitor malfunction. so thats that. question is how do i fix it, and whyd it break?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

That's the reverse lockout solenoid. It tries to make it difficult to gate over to reverse when the car is moving (VSS>0) and the clutch is not pressed in. It's mounted on the side of the transmission, right where the shifter attaches.

I figured the easiest thing to check (and to break on the road course) would be the clutch switch.

If not, it's possible you melted the wiring going to the solenoid, or maybe the solenoid just went bad?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem so i'm gonna bump this up. my car didn't throw a code though. did you ever fix it?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, its the reverse lock out. Its mounted on the drivers side right under the shifter.