Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Engagement Issue or Synchro? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Engagement Issue or Synchro? Please help!

Ok I'm having an issue with 3rd and 4th gear grinding. It was originally fifth grinding but it stopped and 4th started and now 4th seems to be better but still grinds some and 3rd also grinds. All other gears are fine. The trans is supposed to be new along with the ls7 clutch. The trans has the carbon syncrhos, steel forks, etc.

The fluid was nasty and I spent alot of time bleeding it and now its very clean and it fixed a random "locking out of gear" problem i was having but not the grinding gear issue. I'm unsure if the master cylinder was replaced along with everything else as this was all done before I bought the car.

If I put it into third it will grind but if i pull it back out of gear without releasing the clutch and put it back in it wont grind but if i let off the clutch and depress it again then put it back in again and go to put it in gear it will grind again.

Should I go ahead and replace the master cylinder or just drop the trans?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

i am having the same kinda problem and all i did was change the clutch its now sticking in 3rd and 4th grinding going in and out... so i think i have an engaugement problem.. or my slave needs to be shimmed...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Having the same problem as well. Mine has trouble getting out of 4th. There is minimal resistance but its annoying and im afraid that if I get on it and slam 4th that it will get stuck in there. Amber at six speeds inc recommended I re-bleed the system and get a pro 5.0 shifter. I have to check the clutch fluid color to see if I need a new master. I would bet though that I need a new one. Mine only has about 3k mile on the stage 1 build.

Since your trans is new and built, I would guess you need a new master as well (especially since your fluid was dirty). What kind of shifter do you have?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Teching In

I have a B&M Ripper in it now. When the problem started I had the factory hurst in it. The B&M seemed to help slightly but the problem was still there. I then bleed the fluid forever and it solved the occasional locking out or stuck in gear issue but not the grinding. I guess I'll be replacing my master cylinder and hoping for the best.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would doing the adjustable master help? Im having this issue too, wouldnt it give more travel and push the slave more?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

i also talked to amber at sixspeedsinc and she had me do the rpm test and my car moved.. well i ordered some slave shims from spec will be here monday and i hope it fixes my problem
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have the same thing happening in 5th... It'll grind a little when the transmission is cold. And after a grind if I pull it out of 5th and then reengage 5th it won't grind. (This to me seems like a syncro but I'm no T56 expert) Then after driving for about 3 or 4 minutes it goes away completely. Gear specific grinds i find are most often due to syncro or other mechanical failure. A bad master or slave usually effects the engagement of all the gears.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

i was having a problem in 1st and 2nd also but the only thing i did to mine was change the clutch the other was oil soaked.. and the tranny was shifting fine before so i know mine is a "dragging" issue but with still driving it i might have caused damage to the 3/4 slider and broken my billet slider keys

Quick Reply: Clutch Engagement Issue or Synchro? Please help!