Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscape16
Thank you!

No track times yet, but I want to get to Eddyville one of these weekends, then hit up CFR. I spent last week pulling and installing the suspension under the car. Next I need to get it back to the tuner to figure out some shifting issues, because WOT we're just hitting the rev limiter. Hoping the its just a timing thing with the shift points because the trans should be solid.
Id like to get to Eddyville sometime this year too, if I get everything dialed in. I know Ill be down there as a spectator for the night of fire. Humboldt is kind of local to me, so thats where I usually go, plus they are pretty lax on rules . I think Id run out of gear at CF, unless I just stay NA, unfortunately. We'd probably make a pretty good race, since we are somewhat similar in mods. Ill be cam only with an SNS stage 3, Yank 4000SS, TNT 150 shot, Qtp 1 3/4, TSP true duals, MWC fab 9, and a few other minor things.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
We'd probably make a pretty good race, since we are somewhat similar in mods. Ill be cam only with an SNS stage 3, Yank 4000SS, TNT 150 shot, Qtp 1 3/4, TSP true duals, MWC fab 9, and a few other minor things.
No heads? My understanding is the SNS cams love them some compression. I'm going to stay N/A for this year to just get a feel for the car, but I'll be adding back my N2O system this winter and make it look pretty instead of the college parking lot job I had done on it before.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No heads? My understanding is the SNS cams love them some compression. I'm going to stay N/A for this year to just get a feel for the car, but I'll be adding back my N2O system this winter and make it look pretty instead of the college parking lot job I had done on it before.
Not this round, mwc ate a good share of my budget . I didn't want to get too carried away since I'd like to put a 402 (or something in that range) in it eventually and I would be running different heads. I've still got a ways to go on mine and no idea when the rear will get here. I'm debating on sending my nitrous solenoids out to get checked /rebuilt so I'm not even sure if I'll be spraying this year or not. Then I'm kind of worried how much I can get away with. It took a 150 shot like a champ for quite a while, and that's a tnt kit so it's probably closer to 200. I'll be turning a little higher rpm with this cam so I don't want to get too carried away.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Not this round, mwc ate a good share of my budget . I didn't want to get too carried away since I'd like to put a 402 (or something in that range) in it eventually and I would be running different heads. I've still got a ways to go on mine and no idea when the rear will get here. I'm debating on sending my nitrous solenoids out to get checked /rebuilt so I'm not even sure if I'll be spraying this year or not. Then I'm kind of worried how much I can get away with. It took a 150 shot like a champ for quite a while, and that's a tnt kit so it's probably closer to 200. I'll be turning a little higher rpm with this cam so I don't want to get too carried away.
I hear ya. I'd love to spend more money, but my car already had a basic over-haul this spring between a new headers, y-pipe, cam/heads, and springs/shocks. Next year I'm thinking a new muffler (since the one I have it looking pretty rough), tires, and an intake. Besides that, waiting for the rear end with 3.42s in it to blow (and I'm sure it will next season since I have the plan this winter to drop it out, clean it up, and paint it), then I'll have an excuse to swap that out. Next year will be relatively lighter on the pocket-book...and I probably should think about buying something shiney that fits on a finger or else I might end up going to all my friend's weddings stag again.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear ya. I'd love to spend more money, but my car already had a basic over-haul this spring between a new headers, y-pipe, cam/heads, and springs/shocks. Next year I'm thinking a new muffler (since the one I have it looking pretty rough), tires, and an intake. Besides that, waiting for the rear end with 3.42s in it to blow (and I'm sure it will next season since I have the plan this winter to drop it out, clean it up, and paint it), then I'll have an excuse to swap that out. Next year will be relatively lighter on the pocket-book...and I probably should think about buying something shiney that fits on a finger or else I might end up going to all my friend's weddings stag again.
My car would more than likely be running right now if it weren't for those damn shiny things
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Anyone going to the Iowa Auto Forum event at CFR this weekend? I'll be there filming some stuff.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrasher91
Anyone going to the Iowa Auto Forum event at CFR this weekend? I'll be there filming some stuff.
There's quite a few people heading up that way. Wish I still had my car .
Old 09-04-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

yes planning on helping a friend with his Camaro. This is the first time for him competing, can he register at CFR or is that too late?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

He should be able to register there.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thrasher91
I didn't even know of that forum until about a week a go when a local kid asked me about it. Maybe next year, hopefully they'll run at an 1/8 track. Im not really setup for a 1/4, nor do I want to be. I'm curious to see the results though, I'd like to see if my car stacks up to decide if I even want to waste my time
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM
9 Second Club

There should be some good competition there this year. I won the auto class last year but probably shouldn't have. Blew the charge pipe off on the last pass but the other guy red lit. Most of the cars in the auto class last year had no business being lined up next to me or the red Trans Am though. Still had a blast.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
There should be some good competition there this year. I won the auto class last year but probably shouldn't have. Blew the charge pipe off on the last pass but the other guy red lit. Most of the cars in the auto class last year had no business being lined up next to me or the red Trans Am though. Still had a blast.

Turbo LQ4 Camaro at 2013 IAF Shootout (Auto Class Winner) - YouTube
Nice. What was the TA running, I couldn't make out the time? Sounds like their will be a little better competition this year. At least I hope so, if a low 10 wins it I'll be kicking myself for not going
Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking at the entry list, I'd guess a mid to low 9 at least to win.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 AM
9 Second Club

Nice. What was the TA running, I couldn't make out the time? Sounds like their will be a little better competition this year. At least I hope so, if a low 10 wins it I'll be kicking myself for not going
Hey now, I ran a couple 9 second passes. Lol. Not sure what the TA ran honestly. The times weren't shown for a few runs as you could tell. My last pass was on 18 lbs compared to the 14 I ran the 9's on. It for sure would have been a 9.8x and quite possibly a 9.7x. Not that fast, but respectable for a junkyard build.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey now, I ran a couple 9 second passes. Lol. Not sure what the TA ran honestly. The times weren't shown for a few runs as you could tell. My last pass was on 18 lbs compared to the 14 I ran the 9's on. It for sure would have been a 9.8x and quite possibly a 9.7x. Not that fast, but respectable for a junkyard build.
I wasn't trying to take anything away from your car, just the competition. Reading through your build makes me want to take a similar route. Thats a pretty respectable setup, especially for the money. It just looks like their will be multiple cars in the 10's and a handful in the mid 9s or so.

My car is running for the first time in almost 9 years and im getting it dialed in to take it to Humboldt today for a baseline. I'll be just a bolt-on car with a hundred shot for now, so I wouldn't really be competitive. Once im happy with this round, I'll be putting the cam in and upping the shot. That might put me at a low 10, at least mid 10 im sure. Which is why I hope a much faster car wins so Im not kicking myself for not going. Its pretty much a moot point though. Im getting my shift points dialed in and I didn't take into account converter slip when I chose my gears. I think I'd be running pretty ragged NA though the 1/4, nitrous would have me spinning like 8k or so . On the plus side, I should be at the the top of 3rd when I spray through the 1/8 mile.

Edit- Are you in contact with the new owner of it? I'm curious to see what the bigger turbo runs when its all dialed in.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

I was just kidding anyway, ha. I was happy with the way my car performed for a somewhat cheap setup. I have kept in contact with him a bit. He is supposed to have the car at CFR in October. I am anxious to see what it does as well.

I would have got my butt handed to me this year. Both cars in the finals were extremely quick.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just kidding anyway, ha. I was happy with the way my car performed for a somewhat cheap setup. I have kept in contact with him a bit. He is supposed to have the car at CFR in October. I am anxious to see what it does as well.

I would have got my butt handed to me this year. Both cars in the finals were extremely quick.
Cool, post updates if/when it happens. I saw a 8.96 on one of the vids from the weekend , iirc .

Is anyone going to Humboldt this weekend? King of the hill, run what ya "brung". 1st place is $2000! Also, if someone could post this on the iowaautoforums website, I'd appreciate it! I signed up last week, but it won't let me post. Waiting to hear back from the admin.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Teching In

hey guys I'm new around here. Where's the go to performance shop in the Des Moines Metro are for an LS1? All I can find are WS6store and Karl Performance.....Either of them any good for mods and tuning?
Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

Give us a buzz, we specialize in LS vehicles! 515-210-7188

-Mike

Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone doing the Cruise to the woods? it's less than 2 weeks away, time is flying! They've got a few things going on over the weekend, but I'm most interested in the cruise. Im in the middle of a thrash to put in a new cam right now, hopefully nothing goes wrong and I have a good week to tune it before the cruise. They are also going to do a "**** the drag" on Friday night in my old town of Fort Dodge, im kind of excited since I used to actually do that there.

http://www.wccruisers.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?