Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

military enlistment is coming to a close

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default military enlistment is coming to a close

my enlistment is up in a year and I've been looking at opportunities for myself when I move back to the quad cities. I honestly don't want to go to college but I don't mind taking classes that I need to have for my job. So I've been looking at apprenticeships. The biggest one being electrician. I found a website in the cities for electrical aprentice where you work at day and go to school at night, it's a 5 year program starting with $11.81 an hour. I plan on getting all my loans paid off before I get out so I won't have to worry about many bills, but things happen so I want to make sure I can support myself. Would this program be a good idea? Is there any electricians out there that can give me some advice, tell me what I would need to get started? Or does anybody else have any ideas for me to start a new career?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

move to chicago if you wanna be an electrician im taking the test next year for 134 you go to school for 11 weeks with no pay......start at 15.70 i believe then every time after that you go to school you get paid. max out at 38.70 or 37.80 i cant remember now. it is also a 5 year program.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

the no pay thing is gonna hurt though. Is it just school so I can get a job at night or would I be living on no pay for 11 months? Also I'm about 4 hours from chicago and really wantin to be in that area, no offense, but it's just not my cup of tea. More of the country boy type, not too fond of living in cities lol.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

I got out sep of 07... and ended up going through a head hunter to get the job I have now.. Started out making more than I was as an E-5, including BAH and withen the first year have gotten raises that equal more than 2 bucks. Depending on your rate, you can find a job in the manufacturing industry and make damn good money.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

what kind of manufacturing are you talking about there twizted?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

I work in Plastic Injection Molding.

My company makes all sorts of buckets, containers and the sort. I wrench on the machines, keep them going, and other general repairs.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

But manufacturing jobs here in general will pay for blue collar labor, and if you got the skills, you get your foot in the door with a healthy salary. Right now, the job market is hurting for blue collar labor, and this is driving demand, and salaries through the roof. Too many college kids, and not enough real world trained mechs I guess. Just cant mind getting a little grease under your nails.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the first time you go to school its 11 weeks and there is no pay after that you get paid even when you go back to school
Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

I kicked the idea of the electrical union around, but decided that I didnt want to wait that long for the pay to come to a comfortable level. And I didnt have enough connections at the time to purchase my full card. It can be hard to get into unions here as well, as friends of mine tried for a few years, and failed.

If I was single, I wouldnt have minded the apprenticeship, but being married with a little one I opted for the cash now. Luckly I moved into a company that has higher positions available to me in the future. So maybe, just maybe, I will be able to put the union wages to shame.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

The thing is I've had electrician in my mind since I was a sophomore so I know it's something I'm going to enjoy, I love building things and don't mind working outdoors at all. The manufacturing industry doesn't sound too bad but I'm not so sure I want to work in a factory, be it on the assembly line or fixing the machines, I just don't think it's for me is all. I did think about working for the post office fixing their machines. My grandpa did it for a few years and enjoyed it but again, I don't think I can stand working just inside. Being inside is cool once in a while but I need some sun and fresh air once in a while lol. Love being outdoors, even when it's cold or hot. I think I'll be alright with this apprenticeship program I found in the quad cities. They pay about 12 an hour with free school at night for the first year, I haven't asked if the pay goes up or how much it goes up per year though. But the program is 5 years long, where you work during the day and have classes in the afternoon. I just hope I don't get antsy and want to buy a house or get married lol.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was in the local 134 program pretty much cook county-chicago, Il. Yea, the first 11 weeks with no pay sucks. After that it only gets better. Nice pay raises evry 6 months and a raise every July 1st. Right now journeymen make $37.80 per hour. Dues are $270 every quarter and no money comes out of your check for anything besides the normal taxes. I will say to get in to the program you really need to know somebody unless you are a minority. I will tell you that local 134 as a union is not what it used to be, being nowhere as strong. It's really sad. I've been laid of for over 3 months now. No work, but heard work is going to pop this month, will believe it when I see it. Living off of unemployment and sub fund from the union. It is a good trade, although we should be making over $40 an hour considering laboors make as much as we do. I know fitters and plumbers make over $40.

If you want to apply for the local 134 apprentice program you have to go down to the school in alsip, basically 115th and ridgeland. You the have to fill out a application and pay $20 to submit it. Also you will need your drivers license and a copy of your birth certificate. I would call the school first before you go just to make sure that they are taking applications. The number for the school is 708-389-1340. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What ever route you take make sure you get experience in all aspects of the trade... residential and commercial and industrial. It will be much easier for you to get hired later on should you lose your job. I've been in the trade for 15years and now I own my own small company doing service work. Most non-unions shops will start around 12/hr. Going union was never for me, I don't like to take many breaks.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like scrambler said, electricians can suck because you get laid off a lot if your not on the in with people. Even then work can be slim because everyone and their mother is an electrician in the Chicago area. I recently tried to get into the elevator constructor union (local 2) but even knowing somebody and having family in the union i am still pretty far down on the list.

I am going into labor/trades because like twisted said, people with real world mechanical abilities are harder and harder to come by these days. 99% of people have it in their head now that its College or fail.

Anyways, look at other unions that will be easier to get into/just as good.

Also think about what you wanna do and base your career decision in that area, not limiting yourself to one thing like electrician.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for all the great input! It's a lot of good advice guys. I guess electrician isn't the only thing on my mind, just heard of the kind of work they do and that it pays well. I've always loved building and fixing stuff, no matter what it is, so pretty much anything in the construction trade or mechanical I would enjoy, just trying to get a job that pays fairly well, I won't get screwed with as in not using my abilities like I could or just being thrown around, and something I won't grow tired of, at least for a while. I'm actually somewhat thinking about going into architecture since I did some of that in high school and enjoyed it, just not sure if I want to have all that stress that comes with it. My local area has a few big name plants though, John Deere, Alcoa, etc. Even with all the farmland out there I can find some kind of heavy machinery maintenance. Trying to gather all the information I can though to narrow these down and for when I take leave this summer I can dig deeper and talk to the companies one on one.

Quick Reply: military enlistment is coming to a close