Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Going into the Army...???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going into the Army...???

Hey Guys,

OK, so I was trying to join the Navy. They disapproved me due to having too many traffic tickets. Its been an ongoing cluster trying to go in and they finally tell me no.

I am mainly familiar with the Navy, the army not so much.

I am 23 with a wife and baby. Have a good job no, I am doing pretty good, but want a change of career. And have always been pro military, just finally have the cohonies to join.

In the NAVY I was join to be a CB (Sea Bee).

Any particular MOS's to stay away from? Any advance quicker than others? Also when advancing from say E3 to E4 is it a test? Or do you go into a board of officers?

I am going to do DEPs for a few months.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Combat arms mos's, in general, are going to promote faster and usually have the higher bonus money. Don't let the bonus money influence your decision pick a mos that appeals to you. I had a gt score of 118 and joined the infantry, mainly for the money. When I went to meps I wanted to do something in the dental field. E1 through E4 is automatic and can come early with waivers. Since I've gotten out I've heard E5 is automatic now. E5 and E6 are based on points and board performance. E7 is da select not sure on anything past that. I got out in 06 and I know things have changed so hopefully someone will chime in. My brother is in the navy and from what he's said it's tons easier to get promoted in the army. No mos is safe from deployments either. If a recruiter tells you something come in here and asks questions. I'm very proud of serving my country in peace time and war and wouldn't trade my experiances from OIF1 or 3 for anything. It can be hard on your family as well so keep that in mind.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

10-4. Thank you Sheik.

How long is Basic? Or does that depend on your MOS?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Basic will be nine weeks then you'll go to your ait or mos training. Ait training time is based on your mos.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always here everyone telling me the bad. I need to hear some good. lol Good luck in Iraq for 15months, blah blah blah lol
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro52R
I always here everyone telling me the bad. I need to hear some good. lol Good luck in Iraq for 15months, blah blah blah lol
Promotons up to E4 are automatic in the Army as long as you stay out of trouble. You hit eligibility for SGT (E5) arfound year 3 and if recommended you go to a in person board and get asked questions. If you make cutoff scores you get promoted.

Basic- 9 weeks then AIT (mos training) which can be from a few weeks to many months depending on the job you select.

There lots of good in the Army like college money, va home loan, free medical for the family, decent steady pay, frequent 4 day weekends, and usually you make a lot of friends for life.

The downsides are time away from home, long days, and the army has some really stupid ways about doing everything.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266

The downsides are time away from home, long days, and the army has some really stupid ways about doing everything.

sounds more like the marine corps
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

Cavalry Scouts (19D) get promoted pretty damn quick. I'm still an E3 cuz they took my E4 from me when I switched over from the Navy. But my section sargent is an E6 and he's only been in for 5yrs and is 24yrs old
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id pick an MOS that would help you in the civilian world when you get out-Dont just pick the first job they give you because those are usually the crappy ones they need to fill-ie 88M, 92G, 92Y-im sure theres others out there-try to find a really good technical MOS. Combat MOS's do promote faster but can get pretty stressful on deployments from what i hear-oh an the army doesnt do 15 month deployments anymore-there are units doing those long of tours in Iraq but thats only because they deployed while the 15 month deployments were still in effect. good luck to you an feel free to ask more questions
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Id pick an MOS that would help you in the civilian world when you get out-Dont just pick the first job they give you because those are usually the crappy ones they need to fill-ie 88M, 92G, 92Y-im sure theres others out there-try to find a really good technical MOS. Combat MOS's do promote faster but can get pretty stressful on deployments from what i hear-oh an the army doesnt do 15 month deployments anymore-there are units doing those long of tours in Iraq but thats only because they deployed while the 15 month deployments were still in effect. good luck to you an feel free to ask more questions
wow92A and 92Y are good jobs.... Logistics is a broad field and 88m (driver) is a decent field as well. you are a dumbass.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Launching!

you can get automatic promotoins to e-5 and e-6 too. but its a very slow way to do it and only certain mos's will ever have their points low enough. might as well go to the board
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you wanna get stuck being a parts clerk and being on a computer for the rest of your military career then ya they're great jobs. There are really good technical jobs in the army if you qualify for them if not- then you fall on one of those jobs that "needs to be filled" I'll give you an example: My buddy went in to be a combat medic he completed all the training an everything then they did another background check on him and found out he couldnt become a medic-so guess what job they gave him? 92A. An if you wanna be a truck driver when you get out of the Army then thats great but I know thats one of those same type of MOS's. I'm gonna assume you called me a dumbass because I "apparantly" made fun of your job that I listed above an if thats the case then i apologize an that wasn't my intention. I've been active duty for 4 years now an this is just what i've observed-IMO the more technical MOS's are where its at like aviation maint, or any of the signal mos's
Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
I've been active duty for 4 years now an this is just what i've observed-IMO the more technical MOS's are where its at like aviation maint, or any of the signal mos's
Signal and Intel are where its at on the outside. I did Signal (and still do in the reserves) and ever since I left active duty I have landed great jobs based on my military experience and security clearance alone. It helps even more now that I have had a Bachelors in IT for a few years.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if you can't get into one of the more technical fields-id at least try to become an officer-at least that way you can get a degree while you're in an that'll help you in the long run. I myself am thinking about going warrant for automotive maintenance (915A) Ive done 2 quarters of autotech while in the Army but not sure if i'll get another chance to do that again.

Quick Reply: Going into the Army...???