Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

The new AA1 Rifle

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The new AA1 Rifle

Does anyone know about this? If it's real, then this is some good stuff.

New U.S. Army Rifles!

No hiding place from new U.S. Army rifles that use radio-controlled smart bullets
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

The XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System has a range of roughly 2,300 feet - and is to be deployed in Afghanistan this month
The rifle's gunsight uses a laser rangefinder to determine the exact distance to the obstruction, after which the soldier can add or subtract up to 3 metres from that distance to enable the bullets to clear the barrier and explode above or beside the target.
Soldiers will be able to use them to target snipers hidden in trenches rather than calling in air strikes.
The 25-millimetre round contains a chip that receives a radio signal from the gunsight as to the precise distance to the target.
Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the system, described the weapon as a 'game-changer' that other nations will try and copy.
He expects the Army to buy 12,500 of the XM25 rifles this year, enough for every member of the infantry and special forces.
Lehner told FoxNews: 'With this weapon system,
we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever.
'Tactics are going to have to be rewritten.
The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away.'

Experts say the rifle means that enemy troops will no longer
be safe if they take cover
The XM25 appears perfect weapon for street-to-street fighting that troops in Afghanistan have to engage in, with enemy fighters hiding behind walls and only breaking cover to fire ocasionally.
The weapon's laser finder would work out how far away the enemy was and then the U.S. soldier would add one metre using a button near the trigger.
When fired, the explosive round would carry exactly one metre past the wall and explode with the force of a hand grenade above the Taliban fighter.
The army's project manager for new weapons, Douglas Tamilio, said:
''This is the first leap-ahead technology for troops that we've been
able to develop and deploy.'
A patent granted to the bullet's maker, Alliant Techsystems,
reveals that the chip can calculate how far it has travelled.
Mr Tamilio said: 'You could shoot a Javelin missile, and it would cost £43,000. These rounds will end up costing £15.50 apiece.
They're relatively cheap.Lehner added:
'This is a game-changer.
The enemy has learned to get cover, for hundreds if not thousands of years.
'Well, they can't do that anymore.
We're taking that cover from them and there's only two outcomes:
We're going to get you behind that cover or force you to flee.'
The rifle will initially use high-explosive rounds, but its makers say that it might later use versions with smaller explosive charges that aim to stun rather than kill.

One of the revolutionary bullets which can be pre-programmed
to explode to hit troops that are hiding

GO ARMY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, its very real

http://kitup.military.com/2010/10/in...nt-system.html
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure its real pretty

...and when it f'ks up in real combat situations and Soldiers start taking heavy fire, they'll just send in a squad of Marines to clean up the mess like they always do

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Yeh I think I saw this a while back on future weapons.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Interesting. It's pretty amazing what they are coming up with now a days.

Originally Posted by VinR1
I'm sure its real pretty

...and when it f'ks up in real combat situations and Soldiers start taking heavy fire, they'll just send in a squad of Marines to clean up the mess like they always do

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure its real pretty

many things in life may happen, but what won't happen is the Army calling the Marines
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ponch95
many things in life may happen, but what won't happen is the Army calling the Marines
When did they quit calling on the Marines to bail them out?? Things must have changed since I've been out of the Corps. LOL.

I kid, I kid.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm...Ramadi April 2004, Falluja, 2004 are 2 places where I personally witnessed the Army calling for Marine help. I rode atop an unarmored HMMWV into the city of Ramadi on a .50 because the Bradley vehicles were retreating. We joke and kid around a lot and I don;t cut down the Army, but seriously, when the kicking needs to meet the asses, it's the Marines that everyone calls for. Oohrah!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Hmmm...Ramadi April 2004, Falluja, 2004 are 2 places where I personally witnessed the Army calling for Marine help. I rode atop an unarmored HMMWV into the city of Ramadi on a .50 because the Bradley vehicles were retreating. We joke and kid around a lot and I don;t cut down the Army, but seriously, when the kicking needs to meet the asses, it's the Marines that everyone calls for. Oohrah!
Hmm I was in Ramadi in 2004 with the 101st, and I don't remember calling in the Marines, due to the size of our area of operations they called in you guys to cordoned off the area and assist, not take over! as for Falluja 1st Marines went in first..not us bud.

I'm not bashing the Marines because I have fought many times with them, however I have 6 years with the 101st and nobody gets it done like the 101st. Yes I am proud of my unit's deeds because we humped more, sweated more and shot more hogies than anybody.

11B Infantry baby
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Soldier and Marine, we love you both!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thats an "older" rifle but very nice none the less. This would work great but I think that it will take one hell of a gun to get rid of the current AR platform.

Javier
Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the army all ready bought 12500 of those by the way they are very nice and will change the art of warfare
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sure its real pretty

Like Marjah and Fallujah right?! HA! < / end sarcasm>
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Swiat34
By "personally witnessed" you probably mean the same thing every other Marine does when they say it, which is, "heard from another guy that heard from another guy" because any actual person there (reporters, civilians, factual record keepers, and service members alike) have all stated that the Marines couldn't hold Fallujah BOTH times it was handed to them, so the Army had to come save there ***.

It's weird everything except Marines know the facts about it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not bashing the Marines because I have fought many times with them, however I have 6 years with the 101st and nobody gets it done like the 82nd. Yes I am proud of my unit's deeds because we humped more, sweated more and shot more hogies than anybody except the 82nd Airborne .

11B AIRBORNE Infantry baby
Fixed! lol
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96WS6guy
By "personally witnessed" you probably mean the same thing every other Marine does when they say it, which is, "heard from another guy that heard from another guy" because any actual person there (reporters, civilians, factual record keepers, and service members alike) have all stated that the Marines couldn't hold Fallujah BOTH times it was handed to them, so the Army had to come save there ***.

It's weird everything except Marines know the facts about it.

No Sir. I was there.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Staging Lane

Then how do you not know what the rest of the world (except the Marines, apperently) know?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Then how do you not know what the rest of the world (except the Marines, apperently) know?
and how is it that every single person that has posted in this thread knows we're all playing and poking fun at each other... except you?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like Marjah and Fallujah right?! HA! < / end sarcasm>
If I remember correctly, wasn't it Bravo Co. Marines 1st Battalion 2nd Mar Div that ended up securing Marjah back in March of last year? Hmmmm..

Anyways, it's all in good fun man. Relax...We're all on the same team.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

We all know what MARINE stands for - Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential.