Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF: enlisted to OTS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AF: enlisted to OTS?

I've read numerous web sites, talked to ROTC, maintenance officers, a few threads on this site, etc. so I am somewhat educated on the different commissioning programs.
So now I'm looking for any personal experience. How did you go from enlisted to getting commissioned?

I've been in over 8 years, 1 year left on this enlistment.
I have a few classes left for a non-tech degree
3.5 GPA, not great
All firewall 5 EPR's
PT test in low 90's
Not really interested in flying

If I can't get in I'm pulling chalks. No way I'm staying enlisted w/ a bachelor's. I'll also be going for a master's...
I have not taken any action to do this; still trying to get all the info I can... if you can help out, please reply!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get out of the AF and go to the Army as an officer, not nearly as much red tape in the army as an officer compared to the AF. Thats just my personal opinion.

You will need letters of recommendation and you will have to take the AFOQT which is not the easiest test out there.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OTS is typically a flood gate...its used to supplement the amount of officers between ROTC and the Academy so the number of available slots changes from year to year. I would venture to say that with your prior service and really good numbers all around (GPA, PT, EPRs) you should be a real good candidate since you don't want a pilot slot. Talk to your commander, their recommendations go a long way on those selection boards.

My own personal experience was to go through the 2-year ROTC program as a grad student. Even if you don't finish a MS degree in that time, you can still get commisioned. I knew prior-E guys who were making more money as a student than when they were on AD after you factor in all the possible scholarship, stipend, VA benefits, and even unemployment money available. The best part was that as a grad student, you really don't fit into their "rank" structure so they don't know what to do with you and almost leave you alone. Yeah, there is some ***-pain involved, but its minimal and not bad for getting another degree paid for. I believe there is still a one-year program as well, but that may be for technical fields only (JAG, Docs).

In either case, I think you would be at the top of the list for selection...Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JonPMH53
OTS is typically a flood gate...its used to supplement the amount of officers between ROTC and the Academy so the number of available slots changes from year to year. I would venture to say that with your prior service and really good numbers all around (GPA, PT, EPRs) you should be a real good candidate since you don't want a pilot slot. Talk to your commander, their recommendations go a long way on those selection boards.

My own personal experience was to go through the 2-year ROTC program as a grad student. Even if you don't finish a MS degree in that time, you can still get commisioned. I knew prior-E guys who were making more money as a student than when they were on AD after you factor in all the possible scholarship, stipend, VA benefits, and even unemployment money available. The best part was that as a grad student, you really don't fit into their "rank" structure so they don't know what to do with you and almost leave you alone. Yeah, there is some ***-pain involved, but its minimal and not bad for getting another degree paid for. I believe there is still a one-year program as well, but that may be for technical fields only (JAG, Docs).

In either case, I think you would be at the top of the list for selection...Good Luck!
You at Hurby? I'm guessing you worked 53's? I work CV-22's. If you stayed in you might be working on the Osprey!

Yeah, I was looking into ROTC as a grad. They said you had to sign up for a two year masters plan (whether it takes you that long or not). Getting out after 9 years without a job kinda worries me, I have a house, 2 fbodies, and a truck, and I don't want to take a pay cut for any period of time. Sounds like some of the ROTC guys you're talking about did okay (financially). It pays off in the end. I might need to look into this closer...

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by lowprofile; 03-25-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to be an officer, I would seriously stay in the AF. Having worked closely with all the branches, I have seen the lives each offer, and TRUST ME when I say, AF has it best.

Now, as an Enlisted crossing over to Officer myself, I have looked into quite a bit of how to make the swap. There are a ton of different options for you assuming you fit all the requirements, and restrictions. AFROTC, OTS, the SOAR program, the AF academy are all just a few of your options. You need to weigh them out and see which one will accompany you the best. Depending on which way you want to go, will determine what things you need to do next. Your education center/office (unless they are useless like mine) should be able to answer a lot of your questions, and give you all the options.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Teching In

^^^^^ Not sure if Bootstrap is still an option, but that was how I got my degree. Bitchin program BTW! If you are just a few classes out and are serious about it, I would go hit up the ed office now. You can apply to OTS once within 180 days (maybe longer) of graduating. The process in and of itself is an ***-pain, but do-able. Took me months to nail down all teh details, but I had a friend do all her paperwork and requirements within 1 week!!

I'd say...
1) Ed office
2) talk to school and see when you're scheduled to finish
3) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION! (Higher in your chain, the better)
4) Live at Ed office and make them work for you! (It is part of their job)
5) Apply and get accepted....enjoy the insanity that is OTS (At least when I was there)

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Birddog0
^^^^^ Not sure if Bootstrap is still an option, but that was how I got my degree. Bitchin program BTW! If you are just a few classes out and are serious about it, I would go hit up the ed office now. You can apply to OTS once within 180 days (maybe longer) of graduating. The process in and of itself is an ***-pain, but do-able. Took me months to nail down all teh details, but I had a friend do all her paperwork and requirements within 1 week!!

I'd say...
1) Ed office
2) talk to school and see when you're scheduled to finish
3) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION! (Higher in your chain, the better)
4) Live at Ed office and make them work for you! (It is part of their job)
5) Apply and get accepted....enjoy the insanity that is OTS (At least when I was there)

GOOD LUCK!!
Unfortunately BOOTSTRAP is long gone but ASCP and AECP are options, could look into both of them and see their requirements.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I think I was the last to get Bootstrap at my base before it went T.U....heard rumors they brought it back? Perhaps that's what the new progs are...
Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I'm actually making some connections with some ROTC staff, and working with the ed office. I'm also putting my resume out...

There's just no way I'm staying enlisted with a degree, even if that means pulling chalks on the AF... thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Only people I've seen get accepted to OTS lately is Nurses. MX might need them, but our O listings change every year, you should know that. There isn't anything wrong with having a masters either as enlisted. Hell my chief has his masters and is working on a second BS right now. Is he using them? nope. But he sure as hell didn't have to pay for them. And these are from Uni South Carolina too
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MX officer is a hard spot to get right now, we have to many to begin with. I dont know if thats what you wanted to do or not, just a thought.

Quick Reply: AF: enlisted to OTS?