Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I need info good and bad about HICKAM AFB for SrA/SSgt w/ dependents!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I need info good and bad about HICKAM AFB for SrA/SSgt w/ dependents!

I'd like to know how you guys living there ie: cost of living, gas expense, food expense, traffic, DWELLING (space, crime, education, traffic), BAH...

EDIT: Do they have emission check over there?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bene
I'd like to know how you guys living there ie: cost of living, gas expense, food expense, traffic, DWELLING (space, crime, education, traffic), BAH...

EDIT: Do they have emission check over there?
kind of high.$3.11 reg.unleaded food-not too bad.traffic-not too bad.no emission/smog check here.Im sure someone else will chime in from the islands.good luck.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Spent 3.5 years there before and heading back as a contract worker starting Aug 6th. Traffic can such if you are headed the wrong way at the wrong time, and especially if there is an accident on H-1 (becomes a big parking lot). You have to run a front plate (unless registered out of state), cars require an inspection, but not for smog.

August 1st all of the housing on Hickam will be privatized, so you have to sign a lease to live on base (most bases have already gone this route). You may have a hard time with money if you have a big family, otherwise it is not that bad. You should receive a COLA.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Trunion King

Cool, thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get the slot there.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** if I got orders there I would be set! Live with my parents. E6 and E5 pay thats sounds good. To bad im the E5.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

MASTERMIND ENT. find them and party like a rockstar.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Launching!

If you get orders over here, living on base is not that bad. The housing situation is ok if you live in the newer privatized housing. If you will live in the base housing side get used to very cramped quarters. Schools for the kids are not bad, and the base is pretty safe for the most part. You could try getting into the Navy housing over in Radford Terrace, unbelievably nicer. Gas is pretty expensive, and food is relative to the Mainland. Living off base can require you to leave WAAAAAY early to get to work on time, due to the parking lot that is H-1, and not get home til late for the same reason. Lots of history on the Island of not too hard to get between the different ones now with the SUper Ferry and cheap inter-island flights. WHat ages are the kids, and I didn't notice what your rank is, because you do get COLA, based on rank. Plenty of clubs off base, but parking anywhere downtown can be a nightmare, limited space creates some wierd habits. No professional tuners for your car on island so get a good one done before you ship it, and then if you don't know how to already learn to be a tuner on your own. Rumors and rumors about a race track opening, but I'll believe it when
I see it. Check out www.phfba.net or www.hifba.com for the local Camaro and Trans Am club, we have a good group of people in it and more than just Camaro's and T/A's, some 'Vettes, and GTO's too. The local car show scene is pretty amazing, I was totally shocked at #1 the amount of high quality rides here, and #2 the kinds of high quality rides here. Weekend cruises happen all year long to different places on island, very family friendly and a great way to see some beautiful places here. Got any more ??'s pm me, and I'll answer any that I can or get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Trunion King

Thanks farmdawg, for sharing info. I'm E-4 btw, hopefully will get E-5, fingers and toes cross.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Privatized housing is the ****. I'm at Elmendorf, and being mil to mil my wife gets to keep her BAH. One of my best friends is stationed at Hickam and loves it. I would worry a little more about getting Island fever myself. I hear the Turkey hunting is good down there though.

Quick Reply: I need info good and bad about HICKAM AFB for SrA/SSgt w/ dependents!