Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Is my car totalled? - Help fellas-

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Is my car totalled? - Help fellas-

well...here's the story.

last night I go out to my car to give her a spin...i drove over to my gf's college in New london to spend the weekend with her. I go outside and my car isnt there...im like, holy SH*T! I bolt down to the local pig pen to report the car stolen, little do I find out that a 64 year old woman hit my car because she waslooking at my girlfriend's college. She was driving a 2000 Toyota avalon. 30MPH impact, pushed my car into a rock curb, destroying my front right C5 rim, and below is what looks like from ground zero:

The car gets towed away from the site during the afternoon when i was outwith my gf, luckly she reported it and had insurance...I thank GOD for that, but now her cherry has been popped...she's got a dirty title ...they couldnt find me, so they towed her away to a tow place around her school...im not going to lie my heart broke when I saw her...she's been my project for almost 2 years now, my uncle stepped up and helped me get the car and me and my mom flew down to florida to drive her back. And now, I dont know if she's totalled or not...but the back right tire is definatley slammed in, and the rest is history.

Can anyone help me out? I contacted her insurance company and they'll cover 100% of all damages, but they need to get some clown out here to inspect the damage report...appraise it, etc.

But, in a bad situation I guess I can be grateful for not being in the car, and having a girlfriend who was there who told me to calm my *** down...call me a puss but that thing was my baby, I put my sweat and blood into it and I dont know if I need to kiss it goodbye or if it might be able to be repaired...and if so, what should I do?

Thanks guys, sorry for the rant but its only a day after it happened and I havent talked to anyone about it really so I came here

Last edited by phrozen755; 12-09-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Thats Crazy Brian!!!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Your lucky the lady called it in and all that, VERY. Most would just drive off and say screw it. It look like the insurance will claim it totaled. Where it was it is all uni-body and if it damaged the frame its over. Could be lucky and be able to replace that quarter panel and not have any damage to the frame itself... I dunno though.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bdr_ws6
Your lucky the lady called it in and all that, VERY. Most would just drive off and say screw it. It look like the insurance will claim it totaled. Where it was it is all uni-body and if it damaged the frame its over. Could be lucky and be able to replace that quarter panel and not have any damage to the frame itself... I dunno though.

gah.

well, the driver's door is fucked too, hard to see in that picture, but that thing's welded shut too...front c5, back c5, both tires are done. i checked in back of the rear left tire to look for snaps, it just looks like the rear bent...so I dont know whats going to happen.

How do insurance companies give you what your car's worth? kbb?

I just checked out kbb and it shot back $8.2k...but i dont know if they'll give that or not....any ideas?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Im an insurance adjuster, and based on what I see, w/ a new quarter, blending work, new back bumper, new taillight, making sure the hatch still closes correct will probably put you close to 6k maybe 7k in damage. Could possibly be even higher if there is suspension damage on the wheel that hit the curb. Im betting they will total it out. Make sure you let them know about your aftermarket items. I hope you bought additional Custom Parts and Accessories coverage, because most Insurance companies only cover up to $1k. Anything above that and they won't reimburse you. Now is the time to get all your receipts and what not together as well.

Replacing a quarter panel alone can easily top 15 hours of labor at any shop, not including if the inner structure of the unibody was messed up at all.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
Im an insurance adjuster, and based on what I see, w/ a new quarter, blending work, new back bumper, new taillight, making sure the hatch still closes correct will probably put you close to 6k maybe 7k in damage. Could possibly be even higher if there is suspension damage on the wheel that hit the curb. Im betting they will total it out. Make sure you let them know about your aftermarket items. I hope you bought additional Custom Parts and Accessories coverage, because most Insurance companies only cover up to $1k. Anything above that and they won't reimburse you. Now is the time to get all your receipts and what not together as well.

Replacing a quarter panel alone can easily top 15 hours of labor at any shop, not including if the inner structure of the unibody was messed up at all.

The thing is...its all coming out of her insurance...does that still matter about the "custom parts and accessories coverage", I dont think my last insurance company even offered that...will it be paid for if the lady had full coverage on her car? She had USAA, and was a grandma (64) so im betting she's loaded...

The back left c5 is totally tilted inward, so my rearend is bent to hell...

Any tips I could get when I talk to my adjuster? Thanks for the post hellA
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn man!

that sucks, especially for the holiday season Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you'll come out on top in the end. And speaking of ends, since your rearend is trash now, if USAA does decide to salvage the car and get it fixed for you, why try and see if USAA'll get you a nice 12 bolt, i mean they gotta replace it with something right? Its worth a shot atleast. Oh and by the way, I too have USAA (im vehicle maintenace;USAF) on my car and they're very VERY nice people to deal with so I wish you the best of luck bro.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rob M
Damn man!

that sucks, especially for the holiday season Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you'll come out on top in the end. And speaking of ends, since your rearend is trash now, if USAA does decide to salvage the car and get it fixed for you, why try and see if USAA'll get you a nice 12 bolt, i mean they gotta replace it with something right? Its worth a shot atleast. Oh and by the way, I too have USAA (im vehicle maintenace;USAF) on my car and they're very VERY nice people to deal with so I wish you the best of luck bro.

Thanks for the words man

USAA was really easy to deal with, called them up multiple times and delt with multiple reps, they all handled me quite nicely...PLUS they signed me up for a rental car, and then later found out I was younger than 25 AND they're paying for my collision on the rental car. Definatley a great insurance company, ijust hope they decide to repaire her...I had a cc306 lined up for her and my goal was 400 to the floor...if she gets the boot I'm going 98+ ws6 6spd for sure...after I get my college crap and everything else squared away...gotta get a daily driver first
Old 12-09-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Heres a picture of my 97 ss dosent look that bad from this angle. Some girl rear ended me she was doin about 40mph. Had to replace both quarters,rear floor,trunk lid,bumper. The car was twisted like a pretzel. The pass t-top was overlapping the wind shield. It was bad my car was in the body shop for 2 months they were takink there time. the total cost came to about $15000 and all the parts were oem and her insurance paid for every thing even a new cat back that I didnt even need to be replaced.The insurance company wanted to total but they werent going to take my baby away from me like that.Good luck with the insurance company and dont let them jerk you around.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...geID=599246460
Old 12-09-2006, 01:10 PM
317indy

Sorry man, I think its totalled. Just buy it back with the check you get and part it out. Make a crapload of money doing it that way too.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spike30th
Heres a picture of my 97 ss dosent look that bad from this angle. Some girl rear ended me she was doin about 40mph. Had to replace both quarters,rear floor,trunk lid,bumper. The car was twisted like a pretzel. The pass t-top was overlapping the wind shield. It was bad my car was in the body shop for 2 months they were takink there time. the total cost came to about $15000 and all the parts were oem and her insurance paid for every thing even a new cat back that I didnt even need to be replaced.The insurance company wanted to total but they werent going to take my baby away from me like that.Good luck with the insurance company and dont let them jerk you around.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...geID=599246460

alright man...well the car's coming back from new london ct (94 mile trip) and will be back on moday mid-day...but they have an appraiser dude that works at the place where the car's going to be towed (its an autobody shop)...do I go over there and go over the car with him?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phrozen755
alright man...well the car's coming back from new london ct (94 mile trip) and will be back on moday mid-day...but they have an appraiser dude that works at the place where the car's going to be towed (its an autobody shop)...do I go over there and go over the car with him?
I dont think that would matter if you go there.Just let it be known that you would want your car fixed and you dont want it totalled.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spike30th
I dont think that would matter if you go there.Just let it be known that you would want your car fixed and you dont want it totalled.

Definatley will tell them that!

Also, your car was hit by someone making you the victum too...if I tell them that they HAVE to fix all the damages on it if I dont want it totalled right? seeings how its not my insurance but the other person's who is responsible right?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:11 PM
317indy

I would rather take the payout unless you have a shitload of money wrapped up in it! Because if you ever go to sell it, you will have a wrecked history on the title. I would just tell them that you want about 16k for your car, buy it back from insurance for about 500$ and part that bitch out.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

damn man that sucks, if she is totalled are you going to part her out?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 317indy
I would rather take the payout unless you have a shitload of money wrapped up in it! Because if you ever go to sell it, you will have a wrecked history on the title. I would just tell them that you want about 16k for your car, buy it back from insurance for about 500$ and part that bitch out.

How would I go about telling them I want $16k for the car?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Looks totaled to me, sucks that happened, someone pushed my car into a wall at work and scratched it up pretty good, I know what your going through.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

It depends on the miles. FRrom the look of it, it doesn't look to be totaled. I work at a chevy dealership here in kentucky. There are ways of making a car not total. Like using used parts, and yes... you can use a used quarter panel. I've done it before, it all depends on the insurance company. Used parts are actually better than aftermarket parts if you ask me. Aftermarjet parts fit like ****, even more so on a weld on panel like a quarter.