New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figuring Motor Build threshold (LS6)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Figuring Motor Build threshold (LS6)

I have a crate (long-block) LS6 that I am trying to build to approx. 450-470 RWHP for street/strip use.

I chose the 450-470 number because I read in "How to build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" that the stock reciprocating assembly is safe only to 550 h.p. - It's a given they are speaking of B.H.P. and the 470 RWHP number leaves me a small margin of safety.

I am interested in hearing others "learned" opinion of the safe build threshold, (which will of course start a lively topic itself)
But Here is my actual question

It seems to me that in determining the safe motor build threshold (to whatever the weakest link in the system is) That there may be two kinds of horsepower that must be considered.

Number one, (and the most important, would be the "Load" H.P. figure (my term). This would be the combined output (figured in H.P. and TQ) that is generated by the motor.

Number two, (and this is just my theory) would be "released H.P." (again, my term). This would be horsepower that is not generated by the reciprocating assembly itself but is freed up by the use of devices that ease the work of the motor (I.E. - Electric water pumps, Headers, LIDS,etc.)

If my thinking is right (PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLARIFY ME!)
Then in figuring the build threshold of a given motor I can dismiss the H.P. generated by "released" H.P. devices.

My motor is an actual LS6 (still in the crate from Dickey/Scoggins)

I have a Thunder racing Raptor cam (236/242 615-617 111 +2)
And a FAST 102 MM Intake and FAST 102 MM Throttle body.

I am trying to decide which way to go with the heads, (am leaning toward Trick Flow 215's but considering 5 angle CNC job and big valves on my 243 castings) any help here would also be appreciated as I will be purchasing the new heads (or machining my 243's) within two weeks.

Car is M6 w/4:10's "will be soon anyway - lol"
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default New Plan -Maybe

Maybe I should just use the Trick Flow Head budget and buy a LSX block instead.

Then I could sell the crate LS6 and use the money for forged internals.

Already have the 102 Fast setup which be ideal.

Seriously, may be a better idea than worrying about build threshold for cast guts!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

The biggest issue I see is the same one I have. A good bit of power with a 10 bolt rear and 4:10 gears = blown rear end upon hard lanches. Depending on the $ and your disired outcome of power is going to be the decision made for wether stay with the LS6 or get a LSX
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trick flows and that set up should get you there, BUT i would recomend doing ARP rod bolts since it is on a stand
Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by etrnl_velocity
I have a crate (long-block) LS6 that I am trying to build to approx. 450-470 RWHP for street/strip use.

I chose the 450-470 number because I read in "How to build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" that the stock reciprocating assembly is safe only to 550 h.p. - It's a given they are speaking of B.H.P. and the 470 RWHP number leaves me a small margin of safety.

I am interested in hearing others "learned" opinion of the safe build threshold, (which will of course start a lively topic itself)
But Here is my actual question

It seems to me that in determining the safe motor build threshold (to whatever the weakest link in the system is) That there may be two kinds of horsepower that must be considered.

Number one, (and the most important, would be the "Load" H.P. figure (my term). This would be the combined output (figured in H.P. and TQ) that is generated by the motor.

Number two, (and this is just my theory) would be "released H.P." (again, my term). This would be horsepower that is not generated by the reciprocating assembly itself but is freed up by the use of devices that ease the work of the motor (I.E. - Electric water pumps, Headers, LIDS,etc.)

If my thinking is right (PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLARIFY ME!)
Then in figuring the build threshold of a given motor I can dismiss the H.P. generated by "released" H.P. devices.

My motor is an actual LS6 (still in the crate from Dickey/Scoggins)

I have a Thunder racing Raptor cam (236/242 615-617 111 +2)
And a FAST 102 MM Intake and FAST 102 MM Throttle body.

I am trying to decide which way to go with the heads, (am leaning toward Trick Flow 215's but considering 5 angle CNC job and big valves on my 243 castings) any help here would also be appreciated as I will be purchasing the new heads (or machining my 243's) within two weeks.

Car is M6 w/4:10's "will be soon anyway - lol"
If your motors still in the crate thats a good place for it right now. I'm sure if you modify your crate motor your warranty is void. You would be better off buying a forged shortblock from TSP. Believe me I've been there and done that. Learn from my mistakes its alot cheaper. Get you something with some -2cc Diamond Pistons that way you can run a higher compression without worrying about PTV clearance.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to reach the 450rwhp range, i would just take the ls6 you have and throw the cam in, port the 243s, bolt on the fast 102 and you will be in the 450rwhp range. Then take the money you were gonna spend on trick flows and put a 9" in it. You should be able to cover the price of the rear with the savings from the heads and selling the LS6 intake.