New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud bangs are never good....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud bangs are never good....

i have a very low mileage 02 z28 which as of right now has just under 24k miles on it. I never beat on the car but i felt like seing what it could do so from a stop i popped the clutch and floored it. Right before i went i heard a very loud BANG from what i think was the back of the car...Im guessing that was maybe the gear banging? i do have G-force drag radials on the back that do stick pretty well so the tires didnt spin. so im guessing because it gripped it slammed? i dont know just hope i didnt break anything! let me know what you think it was and if i should be worried. Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bye bye 10bolt.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, pop that rear diff cover off and start looking for teeth that are no longer attached to gears.

Does the car feel weird when you take a low speed (~15mph) sharp turn? Is it making any new noises, like whines or rattles?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Launching!

NO NO NO!!!......I'm sure your rear is fine, prob. just the torque arm hit-n the body!
If the bushing is slopy on torque arm or trans mount is tore then the torque arm will make a loud bang noise every time you launch hard!.....
Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar thing happen. Mine's the same, a 2000 with just 30k miles. It made the noise and now continues to make it. I haven't been able to track it down. Something bangs over bumps and between shifts sometimes. It never used to until it hooked up real hard that one time.

I think it's either exhaust or the torque arm. It's tough to located clunks like that.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds to me that the shitty transmission mount is giving out mine did the same before. very easy and fast fix. hell mine didnt even look bad until i got it out. it started off clunking when i got on it and slowly got worse to the point were it did it when just normal driving, i wouldnt be suprised if both peoples cars in this thread that are acting up have bad trans mounts too
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Take a look back there. . . . .

Damn, rear ends. . . . . .

Just blew up the rear end in my Wrangler. . . . Damn weak ****. . . lol
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

I'd be willing to bet a decent paycheck its that shitty trans mount. Get a poly mount and be done with it. DO NOT replace with another rubber mount. Next time you take off hard, it will just rip in half again. I had a 5.0 Formula TPI with a T5. I broke 3 in a 2 week period. Finally got tired of changing the damn things.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
Does the car feel weird when you take a low speed (~15mph) sharp turn? Is it making any new noises, like whines or rattles?
whats this mean??? mine does it some times but i looked under the diff cover and everything was fine. not a single shaving or missing tooth. my car also shifts hard into second when its cold
Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by my bandit
whats this mean??? mine does it some times but i looked under the diff cover and everything was fine. not a single shaving or missing tooth. my car also shifts hard into second when its cold
When I broke the rear on my car, granted I broke all 4 spider gears, the rear basically turned itself into a spool. In low speed turns I could feel the inside tire loading up and then popping loose. Mine was also pretty bad though, I pulled the cover off and 3 teeth fell out, I rotated the wheel and found 2 more...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Launching!

I had the same thing happen on my Mustang about 2 years ago. 20k miles on it. Scared the ever living **** out of me and my buddies in the car.

Moment we pulled into the driveway of a friends house I started checking **** out but found nothing. We were under an overpass so the sound was magnified. I did the burnout and at the start you just heard BANG. Checked everything out and nothing was wrong anywhere. Main problem was since it was in under the overpass, I started thinking maybe it was a backfire or something and the sound was just amplified because of that. But the sounds of the rearend banging and backfire are pretty noticeable on their own so it's just a mystery to me now about which one it could've been.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

trans mount. I bet you also hear it on the 1-2 shift.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Same thing happened with mine 02' 21k miles. I dumped the clutch at 3k rpm to do a burnout (first time I ever popped the clutch in this car) hit the brakes and BAM felt like something hit under the cabin HARD. The wheels were spinning so I said screw it and let the tires rip... my 1st burnout in this car

I go around the corner get the car rolling at 5mph then slam it, sure enough the same bang again. But the car has been driving fine even after that night. Although, I haven't floored it from a dead stop or did a burnout since then though

If it's the transmission mount that's bad, where can I get the poly mount?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

just about any vendor has them
Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like the tq arm. i was leaving for work one day shifted to second and BAMMM!!! i was like what the **** is that i pulled over didnt see anything, drove it to work and everytime i would let of the gas and hit it again BAAAM!!! so after work i put it up on a lift and sure enough my tq arm had came off, but luckily the bolt was wedged on something so i just put it right back in. i would check that before looking inside the rear
Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Launching!

i had an incident liek that with my trans mount.

i was in a pretty good roll in first bein an auto and smashed on it and i was this crazy hard BAMM coming from right under the console. it would it so hard my change in my cupholder would rattle and go nuts. it was hard enough you could feel it in your arm lol.

but a poly trans mount and now no more loud bangs here
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

same thing happened to me, every time i hit the gas without pre-loading the car it makes a loud thunk, how hard are trans mounts to install?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

Trans Mount these things suck!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might even be axle hop...if your tire pressure isn't right, or a control arm bushing is old (age not just mileage...rubber dry rots) you could very well be making the axle jump off the ground when you let the clutch go like that.

Hopping once won't kill it...doing it all the time probably will though...so go through the bushings and tire pressures and such before you do it again and hopefully next time you'll just launch smooth or wind up with a nice smooth burnout.

Quick Reply: Loud bangs are never good....