Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a 2000 ws6 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just got a 2000 ws6 T/A

been saving up and searching for an ls1 Trans am for almost the last year and finally got one for a good deal imo for this area (VA), i didnt plan on doing any engine mods to this car for a while but when i got it the previous owner pretty much did all the basics, full exhaust with LT to offroad Y pipe to 3inch borla catback, new lid, and sub-frame connectors, besides that this car is stock, o also has c6 corvette rims but, any way i was lookin at tryin to get a little more hp out of this vehicle with out going crazy, i know u can get a LS6 intake for these and that its suppose to wake them up and all, well ive been searching around on this site and what not lookin up threads and all and just a few questions i wanted to ask concerning all this. is it worth the money for a used ls6 intake from craigslist or something (found one for $300) or just spend the extra hundred or so on a FAST intake mani? and if i got stock 5.3L heads off a 1500 or tahoe or something will be worth the $$ and effort puttin them in and all or no? and can these heads handle a decent cam with them if i did get them, like an ms3 or something in that area or a bit more mild? was lookin at doing LS6 intake mani, 5.3L heads and a MS3 (or other) cam for a decent budget engine build, and (kinda a dumb question to ask since im lookin for more hp but : \ ) how bad will this kill MPG if any, it is my DD and i dont mind a rough idle (what im lookin for acutally lol) or drive ability just nothing thats going stall out every stop light or give me a ton of problems down the road or get like 4 mpg, dont have a ton of money to throw at this but i would like to do it once and have it done right to were i would like it and not redo it down the road, srry for it being so long, thanks guys
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LS6 intake manifold is a good way to go if you are looking for some cheap power. The FAST is ideally what you want, but they cost more and you have to buy a throttle body with them. If you buy some 5.3l heads I would recommend getting them ported with some larger valves. In stock form they do not flow very well and have a pretty small valve.

If your car is a daily driver I would recommend looking at a smaller cam, the MS3 is a great cam but a little large. Something with less duration will provide more low end power and make it easier to drive every day. No matter what cam you get you gas mileage is going to take a hit in the city. Light to light acceleration is what kills it. Your hwy mileage should stay about the same. Good luck with your car!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search around this site for a couple weeks before you do anything serious.

I wish i could have found this website before i bought my car

and i would look for a used fast 90/90 combo for 800-900 and not waste 300 on a stock intake
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the fast 78mm intake uses 3 bolt throttle bodies,the fast 90-92-102 mm intakes use 4 bolt intakes.$300 for a ls6 intake is good ,make sure to get good pics of it so you don't buy a damaged one.stick with you heads and put a tsp cam kit in or buy a tsp head/cam kit.go to tsp website and look around .a good tuner can make most cams work smoothly,you will need a stall converter for a bigger cam.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 AM
TECH Resident

wasnt able to find the 78mm fast intake mani, smallest i found was the 92, im new to were to buy parts for ls1 stuff, use to use summitracing but it seems to be a small selection from them, went to the fuel air spark technology website is were i looked, whats a good site to get most parts for these cars at? and u think im better off keepin my stock heads for now untill further funding can be done, and for cam wise, drivablity and all isnt what im to worried about, its also a 6 speed car not an auto, more or less i dont want to have engine problems and get 2 mpg pretty much, can stock heads handle the ms3 just as is or do i need new rocker arms and rods? thanks all, appreciate the help still pretty new to alot of this, o and i have a shop that i can take it to to get dyno tuned at also, plan on doing that right after cam install, and can i still drive it with out the tune (the week max i might have to till i can get it tuned) and just have it not run to full potential or will it/could it damage my engine?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

they only make the fast 102 now any thing smaller you must buy used at the parts section.visit the vendors to the right.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>if you install a cam you need new springs and better push rods,look at a cam kit from TSP.you can use your stock rocker arms consider a trunion upgrade from compcam.I would not drive a car with out a tune after a cam swap,especial a ms3.take your time and research cams.EPS cams seem to work the best.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

ight ill look around and see what intakes are available and check out the vendors, and i was lookin at the TSP site a lot last night checking out the cams, cam kits, and head cam kits, whats EPS? when u say EPS cams, looked through that acronym list they had here and didnt see it lol
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can search eps in the dyno section they make an awesome cam for the ls1
Old 07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

engine power systems ,a vendor listed to the right by post #6.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Geoff knows camshafts,and he can make great power with less duration then most other cams.or contact Pat-G ,he can spec you a great cam.