Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tune safety?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune safety?

Just got a lot of work done to my 02 WS6 and i got screwed over by $2000 on labor costs so no money to tune it yet but im about to go on a 850 mile trip with the car to drive it home, is it okay untuned as long as im not getting on it?
the mod list includes...
Raptr cam from thunder racing 236/242 .615/.615 111LSA
fully built heads (unported)
Pacesetter LTs
Hooker 3" Y
Magnaflow catback
QTP cutout
SLP lid
4.10 gears
spec stage 3

If anyone can help itd be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally after spending that kind of cash with a sweet setup like that, I wouldn't risk it! Granted I'm not exactly well informed in this area (cams etc) but 850 miles on an untuned H/C/I car with full bolt-ons etc sounds a little much imo. Maybe someone with some experiential authority will chime in here? Get a dyno tune as soon as possible imo, and then you'll know what you're putting down too (would be nice to know rwhp and torque figures wouldn't it?). I know money is an issue here, but it could prove to be MUCH more costly the other route. Not the time to shortcut imo. Congrats on the setup man, looks like it will be an aggressive ride. As far as labor costs, I got a quote of 3600 dollars at the stealership just to do my lifters So I know what it feels like to get ripped, although I told them to stick it and I still haven't got them done yet either lol.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Launching!

well heres the issue with the tune.....Im on leave from the military and i need to drive my car from columbus ohio to gulfport mississippi and unfortunately all i have enough money for is gas and emergency....ive actually driven the car for over 1000 miles already with no tune and it seems to be okay? but no long distances yet. The only thing ive really noticed is gas milage being god awful so that will cost me....But yes i am gonna get a full dyno when i get to mississippi i just have to wait until next paycheck...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. I wonder how much the pcm will compensate for now?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Get a mail order tune. 150 bucks and a couple days turn around. Contact FROST on here or one of the other Vendors. Some of the tuners here can do better by mail than a lot of guys can do on a dyno...