Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes and stock catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Longtubes and stock catback

I am about to buy either a 2000 ws6 or a 2000 T/A, and I was just wondering if I could run long tubes with a cutout and the stock catback? I was looking online and found some people that have it and other say they are different size piping. So how would I go about doing this if its possible at all?
Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything is possible with money. But I'm just curious as to why you want to keep your stock exhaust, add long tubes, and a cutout? You may as well spend a few hundred more and upgrade the exhaust to something less restrictive.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Just spend an extra $200 on a 3" ORY and put the cutout right at the end of the ORY, it will fit.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get a catback first.......the look of stock alone is **** imao...better sound/performance/appearance right off the rip with a catback... compared to just headers.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i would upgrade the whole catback, even when your just cruizing your going to have a better look,sound,etc.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Not to mention an easier install.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

The stocker is junk compared to 90% of the aftermarket cat backs.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sokr915
I am about to buy either a 2000 ws6 or a 2000 T/A, and I was just wondering if I could run long tubes with a cutout and the stock catback? I was looking online and found some people that have it and other say they are different size piping. So how would I go about doing this if its possible at all?
Thanks
I am going to disagree with everyone else because that is how I have my exhaust and I LOVE IT !!

If I am on the phone/cop is near close the cutout.

I have it open 90% of the time and love the long tube/ORY/cutout sound.

Cut out is better power/cheaper/more convenient/better sounding(IMO) than a catback.

I will try to get some sound clips and videos up tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To answer your original question: Yes, you can run a stock catback on headers, but you'll need an aftermarket Y pipe that matches the headers. I ran the stock catback behind Pacesetter LTs and ORY for a few months before I got a new catback.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
I am going to disagree with everyone else because that is how I have my exhaust and I LOVE IT !!

If I am on the phone/cop is near close the cutout.

I have it open 90% of the time and love the long tube/ORY/cutout sound.

Cut out is better power/cheaper/more convenient/better sounding(IMO) than a catback.

I will try to get some sound clips and videos up tomorrow.
I don't get it...you could still run a cutout with a better catback...and when it's closed you yeild better performance...not to mention the look alone...the stock catback is very restrictive..just doesn't make sense why you wouldn't....
I know I alway's look to see the tips/catbacks of other TAs .....If I see a catback I think....to myself, ah he most have some other good mods to go with....if I see stock tips..I look right past him...Imao the look alone is worth it...unless your gonna keep the whole thing stock...just seems kinda backwards, but whatever...have a blast with your cutout
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan to upgrade the cat back eventually I would just like to save up some more money before I buy it. I can get also get the most power from the headers/cutout so I want to do that first. and also the idea of cops looking at me less is definitely a positive thing for me, one more ticket and I get to go back to driving school.
So if I just get a 3" y pipe, it will be the same size as the stock cat back?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Im in the middle of doing headers and ory on my car. Im keeping the stock cat back on for now until I can save up some more money to buy and aftermarket cb. I dont have the extra 500 bucks to spend right now. Stock cb suck I know but, Imo its not that big of a deal to just wait a couple months and buy one, and no a 3' y pipe will not be the same as a stock cb, its still going to be restrictive until you upgrade the cb
Old 03-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Launching!

There is nothing wrong with going through your stock catback with longtubes. You might not gain as much hp from doing the headers but probably nothing you would notice anyway. My buddy did that with his 03 GTO and it sounds sweet. If you dont want to attract attention I would try it just to see. You can get an exhaust shop to make you an adapter from an aftermarket y pipe to fit your stocker.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Id have to admit I was running a ws6 catback w/ a dynomax muffler then I swapped to a SLP LM1 system and I noticed a difference. Full believer of aftermarket catbacks now.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

I wish I would have done this. Stock cat back off road y lts and cut outs. Cut outs are going to make the stock cat back not a factor. Save the money on the catback and spend it on one or 2 electric cut outs. Open headers sounds better then any cat back anyway
Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by justin hover
I don't get it...you could still run a cutout with a better catback...and when it's closed you yeild better performance...not to mention the look alone...the stock catback is very restrictive..just doesn't make sense why you wouldn't....
I know I alway's look to see the tips/catbacks of other TAs .....If I see a catback I think....to myself, ah he most have some other good mods to go with....if I see stock tips..I look right past him...Imao the look alone is worth it...unless your gonna keep the whole thing stock...just seems kinda backwards, but whatever...have a blast with your cutout
I can enjoy the comfort of a stock sounding exhaust when I am trying to talk on the phone or just anytime when I dont feel like hearing a loud exhuast. True the stock catback is bottlenecking my performance when the cutout is closed, I am not disputing that.

But with the cutout open it is petter perfomance gains that any catback would yield and it is as easy as pushing a button. It sounds better than a catback IMO as well.

That is the exact reaction I want when someone pulls next to me, they see a stock TA with a stock exhaust and dont pay any attention. Then when I put bus lengths on them and slow down to see their reaction it is priceless.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
But with the cutout open it is petter perfomance gains that any catback would yield and it is as easy as pushing a button. It sounds better than a catback IMO as well.
Yes hands down accurate.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

My car open headers you cant sound like this with a catback. Ill post a vid with the exhaust on when I get a chance to upload it later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy_kjjP-ul4
Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

instead of the headers, you could get a catback and put the cutout right beside the muffler. Easier to access as well. A good catback will yeild damm near the same performance as the setup your desribing....I'm sorry, just the look of the stock muffler and tips looks/sounds like ****....If anyone knows and sees your car..I think their gonna wonder "WHY" before you get the wow factor.......If you pulled up beside me and said "yeah...runnen lts with a cutout and a stock catback" I'd ask "why"? If you pulled up with no lts/cutout, but a nice catback I'd immidiatly ask how it sounds/looks=better compliments/same performance gains/ better all around for our cars.. kinda like getting a true ram air setup..without the hood..sweet...but wheres the hood? makes people wonder why???

just my opinon....have at it
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

A cutout isn't a supercharger...lol... it will give you a couple hp over a good catback...

Quick Reply: Longtubes and stock catback