Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on LS6 cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on LS6 cam

I have no intentions of ever turbocharging or supercharging my Camaro. And I would like to stay away from big cams and loud expensive headers also. I know my car is already loud with the SLP LM1, but headers would make it obnoxiously loud, and it's still my DD.

I know the LS6 is basically the same thing as the LS1, except it has an upgraded cam and set of heads.

LS1 = 350HP
LS6 = 405HP

I'd like to shoot for somewhere in the middle, maybe 380HP or so, mainly because I have a stock tranny right now, and I hear the limits on my transmission are right around 400HP.

So my question is, is the LS6 a pretty mild cam? How much would it cost? How difficult is the install? And lastly, will my MPG's stay the same?

Or would it be cheaper and better and easier to just do the LS6 heads swap?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Launching!

i have a 99 T\A and im going with the ls6 cam, headers, true dual over axle, and dyno. im told buy tick performance this should make about 380rwhp.

the mpg should pick up with the tune and the cam is not to much bigger (sound wise). we have put the ls6 cam in a 5.3 which was carbed,headers, true duals in a 68 scout. it sounds amazing
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post questions like this in the internals forum.

Unless you can get the Ls6 cam/springs/pushrods at an extremely low price (sub 200$ shipped or better), I would stay away.
I recommend getting something similar to the CheatR cam by Thunder Racing. Only other option I would suggest is a custom grind.

I will never, ever ever ever, recommend ANY (no not even an ls6 because I have drove it without a larger converter) cam other than stock with a stock converter. Not only does a converter give more performance but it also makes a cam that much more pleasurable and lets you actually use it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Post questions like this in the internals forum.

Unless you can get the Ls6 cam/springs/pushrods at an extremely low price (sub 200$ shipped or better), I would stay away.
I recommend getting something similar to the CheatR cam by Thunder Racing. Only other option I would suggest is a custom grind.

I will never, ever ever ever, recommend ANY (no not even an ls6 because I have drove it without a larger converter) cam other than stock with a stock converter. Not only does a converter give more performance but it also makes a cam that much more pleasurable and lets you actually use it.

Word of God.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your doing it wrong buddy. headers are neither loud or expensive. loudness is a matter of a muffler lol, your LM is nothing but a straight pipe... and price can vary. i got my full exhaust for less than 600$ everything is new. you can get it cheaper if you buy used, exhaust parts are perfect to buy used. as for the cam if your going thru the trouble you might as well get a better performing cam. full exhaust would probably gain more than LS6 swap. and its perfect to daily drive really. good luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
your doing it wrong buddy. headers are neither loud or expensive. loudness is a matter of a muffler lol, your LM is nothing but a straight pipe... and price can vary. i got my full exhaust for less than 600$ everything is new. you can get it cheaper if you buy used, exhaust parts are perfect to buy used. as for the cam if your going thru the trouble you might as well get a better performing cam. full exhaust would probably gain more than LS6 swap. and its perfect to daily drive really. good luck.
Going from manifolds with cats to LTs with an ORY is a major difference in sound. A lot more rasp and way louder, especially with a LM1.

Cost is all opinion. I dropped 1,500$ on an intake/TB/fuel rails... He thinks 300$ for headers is expensive. All depends on priorities and/or how much money you make.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I have no intentions of ever turbocharging or supercharging my Camaro. And I would like to stay away from big cams and loud expensive headers also. I know my car is already loud with the SLP LM1, but headers would make it obnoxiously loud, and it's still my DD.

I know the LS6 is basically the same thing as the LS1, except it has an upgraded cam and set of heads.

LS1 = 350HP
LS6 = 405HP

I'd like to shoot for somewhere in the middle, maybe 380HP or so, mainly because I have a stock tranny right now, and I hear the limits on my transmission are right around 400HP.

So my question is, is the LS6 a pretty mild cam? How much would it cost? How difficult is the install? And lastly, will my MPG's stay the same?

Or would it be cheaper and better and easier to just do the LS6 heads swap?
Yeah, you could throw in an LS6 cam. You'll get a little bump in power for sure from it but you're going to have to ditch your LS1 springs, and the stock LS1 intake is going to be holding back some untapped power. I think you're going to be a little upset at the numbers you end up getting out of it also. It could work though I suppose.

Honestly, in your application, a pair of cheap Pacesetter LT's and a tune would be more beneficial, just keep it simple. LT's are not going to make your car "obnoxious", it's stock with a catback and lid. It will be a little louder for sure, but it should give it a nice tone as long as you still have some sort of cats on it. Also, there is no real set power "limit" on the 4L60E, I've seen plenty of guys on several different occasions running more than 380-400rwhp power through them and they work fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

His car, since he has a LM1, will be extremely loud and extremely raspy with Lts and ORY. It will sound like complete ***. Very very few people like it.

I was making 425+Rwhp on my old car that had 116K on it with a 4l60e. Some go with bolt ons. Make sure you get a good converter and it should be fine.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Launching!

LS6 cam is a waste of time IMO, if your going to go thru the trouble of swapping cams you can get something more powerful with a high LSA which will keep the stockish sound, and LTs arent all about noise, it will make your motor run more efficient and breath better, have pacesetter LTs, hooker Y, and a magnaflow catback with a cam that has a 111 LSA and the magnaflow mufflers tone it down a lot.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i had an 02 ls6 cam. it was ok but imo youre beter off with something more aggressive.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Yeah, you could throw in an LS6 cam. You'll get a little bump in power for sure from it but you're going to have to ditch your LS1 springs, and the stock LS1 intake is going to be holding back some untapped power. I think you're going to be a little upset at the numbers you end up getting out of it also. It could work though I suppose.

Honestly, in your application, a pair of cheap Pacesetter LT's and a tune would be more beneficial, just keep it simple. LT's are not going to make your car "obnoxious", it's stock with a catback and lid. It will be a little louder for sure, but it should give it a nice tone as long as you still have some sort of cats on it. Also, there is no real set power "limit" on the 4L60E, I've seen plenty of guys on several different occasions running more than 380-400rwhp power through them and they work fine.
All 2001 and 2002 LS1's come with the LS6 manifold intake, it's why power bumped up 5HP in Z28 and SS models, so I'm already set on that. And I already have the loudest cat-back available. It still has the cats on, but I have done my homework, and an SLP LM1 with headers will be obnoxiously loud, not even fun to drive anymore. So if I ever do end up getting headers I'll have to change my whole cat-back too.

I'm looking for the next decent upgrade while keeping my current sound set up, don't want it too much louder, and don't want to have to cut my cat-back off.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

U can leave you LM-1 w/ headers but just put a bullet muffler were the Fake muffler is on the LM-1 !
Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
All 2001 and 2002 LS1's come with the LS6 manifold intake, it's why power bumped up 5HP in Z28 and SS models, so I'm already set on that. And I already have the loudest cat-back available. It still has the cats on, but I have done my homework, and an SLP LM1 with headers will be obnoxiously loud, not even fun to drive anymore. So if I ever do end up getting headers I'll have to change my whole cat-back too.

I'm looking for the next decent upgrade while keeping my current sound set up, don't want it too much louder, and don't want to have to cut my cat-back off.
They also came with a smaller cam and smaller injectors. All 98-02 ls1s will dyno between 290-310Rwhp granted the dyno is calibrated correctly and the car is mechanically up to par. However, some will perform better.

Keep the current sound without making it louder etc but next decent upgrade? Converter, period. /next mod dilemma
Old 08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
They also came with a smaller cam and smaller injectors. All 98-02 ls1s will dyno between 290-310Rwhp granted the dyno is calibrated correctly and the car is mechanically up to par. However, some will perform better.

Keep the current sound without making it louder etc but next decent upgrade? Converter, period. /next mod dilemma
I have read that the '01 and '02 LS1's got the LQ4 cam. The LQ4 cam is smaller than the original LS1 cam? Must not make that much of a difference power-wise really, don't think the '01 and '02's dyno differently.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Well now u have to remember the 01-02 have a LS-6 intake and better heads 241's so it makes up for the smaller cam .
98-00 198/209-500/500-119.5 LSA
01-02 196/207-467/479-116 LSA
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

wasnt that smaller cam better for low end power?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yes the combo w/ the smaller cam & 241's and LS-6 intake made more low end torque.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
i have a 99 T\A and im going with the ls6 cam, headers, true dual over axle, and dyno. im told buy tick performance this should make about 380rwhp.

the mpg should pick up with the tune and the cam is not to much bigger (sound wise). we have put the ls6 cam in a 5.3 which was carbed,headers, true duals in a 68 scout. it sounds amazing
True Duals in your situation are strictly for sound. Headers to ORY to single pipe to muffler to dual exhaust would be suitable for up to 450 hp.... Just sayin'. You'll drop a lot of money on something just for 'aesthetics'.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

sold my 02 ls6 cam for $100.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

Isn't that what the gm hot cam basically is? I had one with the whole kit and i was pleased.

Quick Reply: Question on LS6 cam