Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air Screen

What are the positives and negatives about removing the screen on the Stock Mass Air unit for our LS1's. I just removed the screen and it seems to run with more throttle response and power. Thanks in advance gang.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

i went thru mid america motorworks and got a kit that deletes the screen its made of polymer for $45 and dont regret it. just dont tell them you have an f-body. you open up more air after my install i got the same gas mileage at 85mph as i did at 80 mph .think of it this way if you put all those little wires side by side to make a solid mass think of the restriction you would have...
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The screen is there for the MAF sensors to work efficiently therefore it will run better. Negative, it's a mass that restricts airflow as well.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

hey 1blk stealth ,i have a 02 Z28 1sc coupe also!!! dont they just feel lighter? no window motors to burn out etc.. I kinda miss cruise control, but.. naaaah!! mash the gas and see what i can pass!!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remembering info from prior threads, I recall they collected bugs, grass, grasshopper legs, and various other bits of trash. That's just to show what happens when a body doesn't ensure their intake is properly sealed.

The purpose is to straighten airflow, but isn't needed much on the straight flow through of the Camaro. I have an LS1 book with an entry from one of the designers of that system. It isn't needed for what it does and removing it is not a problem (unless your attention to detail is lacking when you button up your air filter or you have an ill-fitting lid.)

To find more, use the SEARCH button.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

You'll find mixed reviews on these, but my opinion on them is rock solid.

After installing my SLP Lid my friend and I pulled the TB out and had a look at the screen. There were large chunks of dust, dirt, and other things in there. Apparently my hose had a slight leak in it, which is probably how all that gunk got in there. But if it wasn't for that screen, those huge chunks of dirt would have gotten in. I for one, am glad that I have a screen.

If you just want improved throttle response just get a ported TB, you'll actually gain a few HP and feel a slight increase in throttle response. Or if you have the money to dumb, just buy a bigger TB.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
You'll find mixed reviews on these, but my opinion on them is rock solid.

After installing my SLP Lid my friend and I pulled the TB out and had a look at the screen. There were large chunks of dust, dirt, and other things in there. Apparently my hose had a slight leak in it, which is probably how all that gunk got in there. But if it wasn't for that screen, those huge chunks of dirt would have gotten in. I for one, am glad that I have a screen.

If you just want improved throttle response just get a ported TB, you'll actually gain a few HP and feel a slight increase in throttle response. Or if you have the money to dumb, just buy a bigger TB.

true! i wouldnt risk getting all types of s*** getting in there.. the screen is there for a reason... you can port your stock TB instead
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My T/A came with a descreened MAF. I didn't like it and replaced it with a stock, screened MAF; I "felt" no difference in power. To me, descreening the MAF is like the throttle body coolant bypass: Do it if you're bored, but keep in mind you're not going to break any dyno's with those types of "free" mods.

Additionally, I like the idea of the screen "screening" things that get past my crappy WS6 air box...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines off and will remain off.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks alot guys....yeah I took it off the rpm's fell to 500...but it seems just more responsive. Keep you posted.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

its called a laminar flow screen , it is in there to straighten out the airflow/remove turbulence before it passes over the actual element of the sensor.

the element can only report to the pcm what it sees flowing past it , the screen helps insure its an accurate representation/sampling of the entire area of the tb bore/opening

if your not scanning & tuning your car it falls in the what you dont know wont hurt you category. ifr you are tuning your car you dont want to remove it because you will always be chasing a moving target.

for a good hands on visual type comparison of what this screen does remove the screen from your kitchen faucet and see what happens to the flow when you remove the "restriction"
Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

It just seems like a bad part to mess with. Specially since there are cars pushing double the stock #'s on a stock MAF.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Launching!

They can say whatever they want about it but, it is a flow restrictor to air flow capabilities.
You'll never see a jet engine with a screen in front of the intake.
Mine's off and it runs better.
Just be sure your filter box in sealed correctly.
BTW, your flow rate with the screen out can handle 500 plus HP motors with no problem.
You don't need to by a bigger MAF.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
You'll never see a jet engine with a screen in front of the intake.
But we have gasoline engines, not jet engines. Big difference. The engineers at GM put that screen in there with good reason.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a thread i think in the external engine section for ls1's that has info about another more free flowing honeycomb screen a few people have put in.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was off when I bought the car and so far no issues. I would prefer it to be on though.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
But we have gasoline engines, not jet engines. Big difference. The engineers at GM put that screen in there with good reason.
Yeah, just like the pathetic EGR system, the under powered / badly designed window system, the super impressive skip shift circuit. I could go on and on.
BTW, the Vette does not use the "air flow straightener" so why does the F body?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Hey I understand both sides and we just disagree. Thats ok but now I feel like getting a bigger mass air like an 85mm or even a 100mm. I found out that I would also need to get a 104mm lid if going with the 100mm t/b. Is this a good idea?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Launching!

It depends on what you want from it.
For me, the motor is right where it needs to be.
Later on, who knows.
I would like to build a small block 427 from scratch w/ twin turbos.
That's how I would go about it but, my ship hasn't come in yet.
Incremental stuff is good for some but I've always been an impatient type of guy. LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

If you removed the screen on the Mass Air or was already removed when you got the car.....Do you have the car tuned right now?

Quick Reply: Mass Air Screen