Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system question.

Hello, I am just finishing a 46 Chevy pickup truck streetrod project which has a LS1/4L60E combo from a 2000 Camaro. I am using a Griffin all aluminum radiator that was built specifically for that year truck with a LS1. My question is why does it seem that the lower radiator hose doesn't get hot? I am using a 180 degree thermostat and the fan turns on at 185 degree. The engine temp never goes over 195 degree. Do I have a problem? The people at Griffin tell me that the combination of the great cooling system in the LS1 and a very large all aluminum radiator is why the lower hose stays cool. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Al.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the PCM read, do you have a way of reading it and I do not mean the in car guage. What brand guage are you using for the cab?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using a Dakota Digital dash with their supplied sending unit. I have no way of reading the PCM. The PCM was reset by Painless Performance to match my application.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a diagnostic port in the harness? IMO getting a reader from like autozone will read temp that the PCM sees. Could be a case of really good cooling, and a well insulated hose.

IF I was really curious, I would test the opening temp of the thermo in a pot of boiling water and candy thermo to see when it actually opens. Then with a infered gun I would hit different spots and see what the actual temps are once the system is running and up to operating temp.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Like stated above, verify engine coolant temp with a PCM scanner. If it's really 195°, then I wouldn't worry about the cool hose since the engine is obviously warming up.

If you want to make it a bit warmer on average, you could bump the T-stat temp to a stock LS1 T-stat (187°F unit). You could also raise the fan on/off temps. My experience is that NA LS1s run best between about 190-210°F, so you are already in that range.