Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install????

Im installing LTs on my 99ss I got the driver in, having trouble removing the stock exhaust manifold on the passenger side, what do I take off???how do I remove the dip stick?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Have you pulled the plugs/wires/coilpacks first? It's the same on both sides just keep looking to see if you missed a bolt. There is a bolt you will have to get from underneath (#8 plug) for sure. There is a single (15mm?) bolt holding the dipstick tube to the cyl head, remove it and wiggle it up and out.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_M
Have you pulled the plugs/wires/coilpacks first? It's the same on both sides just keep looking to see if you missed a bolt. There is a bolt you will have to get from underneath (#8 plug) for sure. There is a single (15mm?) bolt holding the dipstick tube to the cyl head, remove it and wiggle it up and out.
coilpacks? wtf? when i did my headers i never touched the coils. it made no difference whatsoever. as far as the dipstick there should be a bracket holding the tube and after that just pull it out carefully. it goes in the same, its a bitch to go back in the hole but once you find it just push and it will go back in. removing the AIR tubes will help you alot.
also i put my car on a drive on lift and did the whole install from underneath
Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

When I installed mine, I loosened the coil pack bracket, removed the spark plug, and took out the AIR tubes. Still couldn't get the manifold off, so I took some tin snips and cut it off.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks. how the hell did yall get to the bolts on the exhaust manifold with AC in the way. I couldnt even remove the coil bracket the damn AC lines were in the way. The driver side went in fairly well but I couldnt get the passenger side off!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Took alot of finesse, they are able to come out, just takes some work.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Launching!

did you use all types of swivels and extentions? seems like I cant get any leverage
Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I used a swivel, also made many sacrifices to the LS1 gods. Still growing some of the skin back.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
coilpacks? wtf? when i did my headers i never touched the coils. it made no difference whatsoever. as far as the dipstick there should be a bracket holding the tube and after that just pull it out carefully. it goes in the same, its a bitch to go back in the hole but once you find it just push and it will go back in. removing the AIR tubes will help you a lot.
also i put my car on a drive on lift and did the whole install from underneath
The Driver's side Coil Packs can remain in place, but with the limited room to get to the Manifold on the Passenger Side removing them is a must. I'm glad you were able to work around both sides when you did your LT Install, but getting to the manifold bolts at the rear and the Spark Plug for the #8 Cylinder is difficult enough, why leave the coils in the way to have to work around too?

I recommend the O.P. remove the Coil Packs as well. It will give you more access to the Manifold Bolts as well as the 15mm Dipstick Tube Retaining Bolt.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I recommend the O.P. remove the Coil Packs as well. It will give you more access to the Manifold Bolts as well as the 15mm Dipstick Tube Retaining Bolt.
^^i agree. i took a couple packs off mine when i put my LTs on. the extra space made is easier and a lot less frustrating!!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by D14HUGGER.ORANGE
did you use all types of swivels and extentions? seems like I cant get any leverage
I used some "wobble" type short extensions and a deepwell 10mm to get the angle/length, then used a 10" piece of lead pipe to get the extra leverage. Breaking the manifold bolts without the coil packs removed = ouch in my experience. Just too close for me, especially for cyl #6. I also removed the heat shields to keep from getting cut by them and free'd up a tad more room as a plus.

D14HUGGER.ORANGE were you able to make anymore progress?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

I only got the driver side on. The shop I work at on base is closed sunday and monday. So hopefully this thursday or friday ill get the passerger side done and get the Y pipe on. So I can start on my FAST 102mm intake manifold. Apreciate all the input guys, ill let you all know if I learn any new knowledgeable tricks.

Quick Reply: Header install????