Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body

What size throttle body should i go with for my 04 gto? I dont want to go too big and lose power. I see one on here thats a 102mm but i dont really have any mods yet but would be putting the throttle body on along with a full exhaust, cai and a tune
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Most people recomend porting the factory tb unless you upgrade to a bigger intake manifold like a fast. I doubt a 102 will even fit a stock manifold. Check ebay for seller named potz6 he will do it for $40 plus shipping and core charge
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nomasterase
Most people recomend porting the factory tb unless you upgrade to a bigger intake manifold like a fast. I doubt a 102 will even fit a stock manifold. Check ebay for seller named potz6 he will do it for $40 plus shipping and core charge
What kind of gains do you see of porting the stock one? I have heard you lose low end power with the fast intake but gain top end. Its my dd i dont know if i want to lose low end power since i rather enjoy it lol I will check him out, i havent been on ebay in many years though so i will be curious to see the status of my acct.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The throttle body is simply an air valve for your engine. Unless your current throttle body is a restriction...meaning your intake and engine want more air than the tb can allow in, you don't need a larger one.

You already have an ls6 intake, unless you have a great set of heads and a decent cam that is causing the intake to be a restriction, leave it alone.

You need to match the throttle body to the intake, And the intake to the air flow requirements of your engine. Simply changing to a larger tb will gain you nothing as the engine is only going to use as much air as it needs. The only job the tb has is to replenish the air in The plenum.

So...more air requirements means more plenum volume needed means larger tb.