New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick! I've got wet o2's...ok to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Quick! I've got wet o2's...ok to drive?

Hey it's raining like crazy here and of course my car started to bog down real bad and misfire. Anyway I'm stranded on the road 20 min from home.
Is it ok to try to drive it home or will I fu** something up?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of how many people spray a water/Meth combo...

If your car is bogging from rain you are having other issues.. Make sure you have a good connection at your battery terminals. There should be no reason water is getting to your O2's in some amount that wouldn't do other damage first.

Is your SES light flashing?

Try and start the car, if its running like ***. shut it off, wait a few minutes and try again..

report back
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

SES lIght is always on bc rest o2s aren't tuned out. Last time this happened SES light was blinking. I had it towed. Next day it was fine...
Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Edit - back o2s aren't tuned out
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

unless O2 failing has fouled plugs I'm fairly sure o2 sensors will not cause misfires..

Follow the body harness that connects the coil packs.. make sure everything is connected well

SES light flashing means there is a detected misfire that could cause damage to the CATS..

To remedy this problem you need to pull plugs, wires and coils and figure out whats going on. The whole, " broke last night, works today..must be ok " will almost always put you in your current situation.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Think of how many people spray a water/Meth combo...

If your car is bogging from rain you are having other issues.. Make sure you have a good connection at your battery terminals. There should be no reason water is getting to your O2's in some amount that wouldn't do other damage first.

Is your SES light flashing?

Try and start the car, if its running like ***. shut it off, wait a few minutes and try again..

report back
Originally Posted by KrisXpc
unless O2 failing has fouled plugs I'm fairly sure o2 sensors will not cause misfires..

Follow the body harness that connects the coil packs.. make sure everything is connected well

SES light flashing means there is a detected misfire that could cause damage to the CATS..

To remedy this problem you need to pull plugs, wires and coils and figure out whats going on. The whole, " broke last night, works today..must be ok " will almost always put you in your current situation.
Yes and yes. On all counts.

I will add that you should also hook up a scanner and see what other DTCs may be present, as this may help lead you to the source of the misfire and/or other issues.

Did you drive through deep enough water to saturate the air filter with water? This could also be your problem.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys
I had the car towed to my garage. In hindsight it was stupid of me to even consider driving that far with my car acting up like it was.
To the cause of the problem I KNOW what is causing it. I don't feel like explaining it, but there are lots of threads covering 'wet o2's' and I fall into the very unprotected o2 extension category as well thanks to the previous owner. I have new plugs, wires, and vette o2's going on tomorrow, but I rolled the dice driving my car to work today knowing it may storm later in the day.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Thanks guys
I had the car towed to my garage. In hindsight it was stupid of me to even consider driving that far with my car acting up like it was.
To the cause of the problem I KNOW what is causing it. I don't feel like explaining it, but there are lots of threads covering 'wet o2's' and I fall into the very unprotected o2 extension category as well thanks to the previous owner. I have new plugs, wires, and vette o2's going on tomorrow, but I rolled the dice driving my car to work today knowing it may storm later in the day.
ok, so this makes sense now.. I wish you would have explained originally that you took a lazy route when extending your o2's..

Vette O2 sensors get the job done well when it comes to extensions.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Krisxpc, re read my last post and tell my if you can read and comprehend what this sentence says..."I fall into the very unprotected O2 extension category as well thanks to THE PREVIOUS OWNER."
Report back
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Krisxpc, re read my last post and tell my if you can read and comprehend what this sentence says..."I fall into the very unprotected O2 extension category as well thanks to THE PREVIOUS OWNER."
Report back
Ahh I missed that part, thanks for pointing it out.