New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG on my ls1 m6

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG on my ls1 m6

So I got 318 miles of mixed city and freeway driving is this about average or could it do better I plan on doing spark plugs, oil, and fuel filter what else would be good to change out car has 167k miles on it!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

We need to know how many miles per gallon you get to let you know if its in the right ballpark. These fuel gauges are not usually that accurate so we have no idea how much fuel you still had in your take when you filled back up.

Fill up the tank completely and reset the tripometer, then use most of the tank, refuel and record how many gallons it took to fill up again. Do a little math and tell us how many MPG you got.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
We need to know how many miles per gallon you get to let you know if its in the right ballpark. These fuel gauges are not usually that accurate so we have no idea how much fuel you still had in your take when you filled back up.

Fill up the tank completely and reset the tripometer, then use most of the tank, refuel and record how many gallons it took to fill up again. Do a little math and tell us how many MPG you got.
So I refueled today it was almost at the red line I did resets the tripometer it took about 11.5 gallons so it was about an average of 26 mile per gallon!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say thats pretty damn good, I get 26mpg if im lucky with all highway driving.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

what year is it?.. 98's like mine had a 15 gallon tank and everything else has 12. I typically get 17 city, dont do much for highway driving but its not more than 22. Also m6
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Yea do the maintenance spark plugs spark plug wire set, oil, air filter, and fuel filter, get a bottle of the fuel injector before you pump gas to clean your injectors and check your tires if they have as much air as there suppose to. I get good gas millage on my m6 camaro just cruising in a high gear low rpms even in the city but better in the highway
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

With a mix between city and highway I would say thats about average. Some claim 30+ but thats going to be strictly highway, I would say mixed people get between 25-28
Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
what year is it?.. 98's like mine had a 15 gallon tank and everything else has 12. I typically get 17 city, dont do much for highway driving but its not more than 22. Also m6
This is incorrect. 98 had a metal 15.5 gallon tank. 99+ had a plastic 16.8 gallon tank.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go another milage thread. 318 is insane for mixed. I call it a good week if I can get 240 out of a tank of mixed driving. I dont think any of ur parts are bad if that is truly what you got with mixed driving. But i feel bad for your car being babied like that. What a waste.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
This is incorrect. 98 had a metal 15.5 gallon tank. 99+ had a plastic 16.8 gallon tank.
truth!

Originally Posted by udienow
Here we go another milage thread. 318 is insane for mixed. I call it a good week if I can get 240 out of a tank of mixed driving. I dont think any of ur parts are bad if that is truly what you got with mixed driving. But i feel bad for your car being babied like that. What a waste.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove down to Key West from Miami and got 26mpg in my car. I get about 250miles per tank with mixed driving. Keep it under 2k rpm and If you do a tune up it'll get alot better...IMO
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Ive got a 98, the tank almost holds 11.5 gallons, i got 28.8 mpg on the highway @70 mph, in the city i have no clue, its also a M6.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MPG are effected by a few things.

Local Fuel Quality- Varies from state to state. Example In Connecticut where I live, if I got per say 25 mpg with our fuel, drive to New Jersey (lets say for racing), fuel up on the way back I get 2-3 mpg better economy due to fuel additives.

Driving Style- This is likely the most important thing. Skip shifting, and keeping the RPMS below 2k and not past will help the most. trying to keep the throttle under 20 % and coasting when you can helps, See Hyper Miling. I myself skip gears like 1st, 3rd, 6th or some variation 1/3/5 in town or 1/2/4/6 getting on to the free way. Having better rear gear helps.

Tuning- Some people get a lean tune to help with under 2k rpm and when you go WOT it commands 1.00 Lambada (12.8 A/F)

Weight- C5's get this a lot since they are lighter on average, zo6's have light glass, and techically closer ratio trans but if you keep the MPH down the RPM diff will be neglible and you can skip gears easier.

Condition- Well maintained car that has thinner/lighter fluids help with parastic loss.

Location- Avoiding hills and living in a generally flat location helps (see Kansas/Florida) vs Vermont or Connecticut more throttle input hurts MPG.

There is so much you can do just look at driving style and dead weight. Avoid using A/C but keeping windows closed and t tops in, just running the vents.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by udienow
By mixed driving you must mean half city half dragstrip driving with those numbers my friend.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

i got 165 miles to a tank (15.5gallon) a4 with all city driving and at WOT only twice...this is after all full tune up...but on the highway i can almost hit 280 to a tank..not sure what might be wrong...my rear end has a whine and i sometimes still flash a code for my egr even though i replaced it...i would ******* ecstatic if i got 300 with mixed driving

Last edited by rlatulipe5591; 06-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 AM
Teching In

I normally get about 290 in my 98 ws6 (a4) mixed driving. Get bout the same in my 01 ws6 (a4 also), maybe a lil better, it has taller factory gears. 98's running a set of 3.42's. On a side note, to the guy above only getting 165 to a tank, I feel your pain! That's what my 01 was getting, running so rich I was getting all kinds of cylinder wash and my oil was diluted so bad I could actually light it on fire after driving it. At full throttle it would emit black smoke (fuel) intermittently at full throttle, almost seemed to randomly pulse, kinda hard to describe. Didnt seem to affect performance, but I knew I had a problem. I tried to tune it out to no avail. Tried damn near everything, since I have two of these ls1 car it's easier for me to try trouble shooting. Ended up tracking it down to the rail mounted "fuel pulse dampner". I'd never even heard of one before then. From what I can tell it keeps fuel pressure balanced between the rails and acts as kind of a secondary regulator, think the primary's back by the pump (awesome idea... NOT). But anyway, replaced that and a lil tuning and it's bout twice what it was as far as gas mileage. Figured I'd share
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by $Fbodyguy$
I normally get about 290 in my 98 ws6 (a4) mixed driving. Get bout the same in my 01 ws6 (a4 also), maybe a lil better, it has taller factory gears. 98's running a set of 3.42's. On a side note, to the guy above only getting 165 to a tank, I feel your pain! That's what my 01 was getting, running so rich I was getting all kinds of cylinder wash and my oil was diluted so bad I could actually light it on fire after driving it. At full throttle it would emit black smoke (fuel) intermittently at full throttle, almost seemed to randomly pulse, kinda hard to describe. Didnt seem to affect performance, but I knew I had a problem. I tried to tune it out to no avail. Tried damn near everything, since I have two of these ls1 car it's easier for me to try trouble shooting. Ended up tracking it down to the rail mounted "fuel pulse dampner". I'd never even heard of one before then. From what I can tell it keeps fuel pressure balanced between the rails and acts as kind of a secondary regulator, think the primary's back by the pump (awesome idea... NOT). But anyway, replaced that and a lil tuning and it's bout twice what it was as far as gas mileage. Figured I'd share
lol mines not blowing black smoke but something is up need to take to a shop and have them hook it up to a computer n see if everything is working how it should and check my f/a ratio

Quick Reply: MPG on my ls1 m6