New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shift problem

I've got a 98 ws6 and I just had my transmission rebuilt by a well known transmission shop out of Louisville (name shall not be mentioned), I had a 3500 stall put in a shift kit, different sunshell, ect.. I finally took the car out for a drive and it's shifts perfect normally driving it, but when at Wot it shifts good between first and second but between second and third and between third and fourth it hits the rev limiter, does anyone know what It could be
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could either be stall converter and shift point related items. IF you went WOT and the car would not stay in 4th I would say it was due to the car having extra line pressue and shift kit factoring in at the same time.

Check the auto section, you will find more info.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea its that 98s slow *** CPU causing your misery. 98s CPUs are the devil. It needs to go to a good tuner who can take some time with your car at a track like my tuner did. Some people actually rewire their cars and run a later model CPU. But if you can find a tuner that will hook up the laptop in the car at the strip and do his tweaking there it can adjusted.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Yea its that 98s slow *** CPU causing your misery. 98s CPUs are the devil. It needs to go to a good tuner who can take some time with your car at a track like my tuner did. Some people actually rewire their cars and run a later model CPU. But if you can find a tuner that will hook up the laptop in the car at the strip and do his tweaking there it can adjusted.
Lots of '98 PCMs work just fine. I would not jump to the PCM swap for this at all.

If this issue began with the install of a new trans, then I would start there. FWIW, I had similar issues with perfect shift points on my '00 car, and then messed up shift points right after a fresh trans was installed. More adjustments needed to be made to the tune for the new, built trans. That was even with an '00 PCM, so I don't think I'd worry about a PCM swap to fix this problem.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Lots of '98 PCMs work just fine. I would not jump to the PCM swap for this at all.

If this issue began with the install of a new trans, then I would start there. FWIW, I had similar issues with perfect shift points on my '00 car, and then messed up shift points right after a fresh trans was installed. More adjustments needed to be made to the tune for the new, built trans. That was even with an '00 PCM, so I don't think I'd worry about a PCM swap to fix this problem.
Nope your right. You don't need a new CPU. You need somebody to take the EXTRA time to do some hands on the track tuning the car. They have to do the changes and then run the car to see how it does. Dial it in at the track.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM

Thanks a lot for the information, so basically I need to get someone to tune the car at the track do you all know anyone in the area of elizabethtown Kentucky that could do that or how much it would cost