Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno:STD vs. SAE

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno:STD vs. SAE

I just had the TA dynoed on a dynojet today....My numbers were 328.8 rwhp and 342.9 rwhtq. I have been looking at the dyno charts everyone has posted on the board and all of their numbers are posted using SAE horsepower and torque as opposed to the STD horsepower and torque numbers I recieved. What is the is difference? Also, I was wondering if my car would have dynoed lower on a mustang dyno. My mods are Magnaflow catback, TSP lid, and SSRA2. I'm pretty happy with the numbers I recieved, and Im wondering if they are legit.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Launching!

The numbers are legit, but they'd be lower if corrected.

My car puts out 324hp and 339tq SAE corrected with a lid, headers, and a catback. Uncorrected those numbers would've been higher.

A Mustang dyno will read lower, but if I remember correctly they simulate a load (or something like that) for better accuracy while the Dynojet doesn't. Most people just like the Dynojet more because they'd rather hear higher numbers than lower ones, regardless of the circumstances.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

In magazines and within circles of racers which dyno figures are people generally referring to? dynojet/actual, dynojet/sae, or mustang dyno. I want to know what the base is upon which to compare my car to other cars.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Also, please correct me if this statement is wrong:

Flywheel horsepower is consistent across all of the dynos, the only things that differs is the degree to which each dyno and the corrected figures measure parasitic loss. Such as 16% on dynojet/standard and maybe 20% on dynojet/sae
Old 04-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Mustang dynos can be as much as 15% lower or more than dynojet b/c as you said they do similuate load, like you would see on the street.

WhitePhoenix, you are right that you will have the same flywheel hp, but every dyno is calibrated just a little differently. That is why its always good to measure mods based on the same dyno...

Quick Reply: Dyno:STD vs. SAE