New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im new to the forum wondering about turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im new to the forum wondering about turbo kit

im wanting to buy a full turbo kit for my 01 ls1 camaro i want a good one but can only spend around 2000 to 2500 should i give up or do they make one thanks for any help
Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

You may be able to get a kit for the money you are talking, but (here comes what you don't want to hear) you will need to spend 3k more for supporting fuel, wastegate, BOV, intercooler, trans, and many other supporting mods.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Lol you're not ready for a turbo kit.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah you can find a complete good quality used kit for around 2k or less maybe no prob if you have a little patience and are ready to jump on it when the deal pops up. A rear mount kit can be found complete for 1500 used. You can also go the ebay turbo route and just change the turbo. Looking at more like 3500-4000 for a new high quality kit (like Huron) complete with bov, wastegate, oil lines, and intercooler. The problem is injectors, fuel system upgrades, new rear end to handle the power, beefing up your transmission, building up your suspension to make the car handle well and be able to grab traction, and more. The complete kit itself is cheaper than all the other **** you have to do. It's unfortunate, but thats how it needs to be done. Can't wait to have mine turboed one day.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once considered going forced induction, then I read this..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 11-02-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

A lot of the things like the cam and heads shouldn't be added to the cost of a turbo set up imo. Thats something most people do long before turboing the car anyways. If your plans are to boost the car in the future then simply get boost friendly components as you go along. A lot of the parts are things you would buy anyways for an N/A build. The specific part will just be different though to work with the turbo, therefore I don't think they should be included in the "real cost of forced induction" since the money will be spent regardless if you do a turbo, nitrous, or big power n/a build you're still going to do h/c/i, need a beefed up transmission and clutch, injectors, new rear end, ect.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
A lot of the things like the cam and heads shouldn't be added to the cost of a turbo set up imo. Thats something most people do long before turboing the car anyways. If your plans are to boost the car in the future then simply get boost friendly components as you go along. A lot of the parts are things you would buy anyways for an N/A build. The specific part will just be different though to work with the turbo, therefore I don't think they should be included in the "real cost of forced induction" since the money will be spent regardless if you do a turbo, nitrous, or big power n/a build you're still going to do h/c/i, need a beefed up transmission and clutch, injectors, new rear end, ect.
I agree with you in saying that there are many mods needed anyway and you're right that you will need them anyway. Most of the difference is in the misc parts that are boost specific. These include WG, BOV, boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors (H/C you can use smaller than boost cars), vacuum blocks, boost controller, larger fuel pump or twin fuel pumps, intercooler. The mods that I listed will net you more then the turbo kit itself.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

I looked into doing a turbo for my 6.0, now I have a set of ls3 heads and am doing na for a hell of a lot cheaper. Less power or course...
Old 11-02-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
I agree with you in saying that there are many mods needed anyway and you're right that you will need them anyway. Most of the difference is in the misc parts that are boost specific. These include WG, BOV, boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors (H/C you can use smaller than boost cars), vacuum blocks, boost controller, larger fuel pump or twin fuel pumps, intercooler. The mods that I listed will net you more then the turbo kit itself.
Yep very true. I'm well aware that the supporting mods will easily surpass the cost of the complete turbo kit itself. Just don't feel that that write up made too much sense considering its title. But anyways, it's not stopping me. Going to be a long process but eventually it will get done.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Yep very true. I'm well aware that the supporting mods will easily surpass the cost of the complete turbo kit itself. Just don't feel that that write up made too much sense considering its title. But anyways, it's not stopping me. Going to be a long process but eventually it will get done.
Good luck on the build! I took the plunge at the beginning of summer and have just wrapped up the build! Going to Speed Inc for the final chapter (the tune) this week!

Quick Reply: im new to the forum wondering about turbo kit