New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this aftermarket cam considered aggressive/radical?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this aftermarket cam considered aggressive/radical?

I have a 2002 z06 that I brought modified with a aftermarket cam amongst other mods.what do people mean when they say certain aftermarket cams are not good for street use?why not?what makes it only good for the track and not for daily driving use?
also how often would I have to change out the valve springs and the push rods?

Mod list:
-slightly ported heads
-slightly ported TB
-halltech intake
-lt headers 1 7/8
-no cats
-3inch pipes from headers back to 3inch kooks x pipe to 4inch quad tips
-lg custom cam 239/242 with .650 lift 112 lsa
-titanium springs with push rods.

I put close to 5k miles on it since I brought it and the drivabilty isn't bad at all maybe just a tad bit loud but nothing I I can't handle. .

here is a couple videos of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamJt9NAdW8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfevJfZnUE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr.Z06
I have a 2002 z06 that I brought modified with a aftermarket cam amongst other mods.what do people mean when they say certain aftermarket cams are not good for street use?why not?what makes it only good for the track and not for daily driving use?
also how often would I have to change out the valve springs and the push rods?

Mod list:
-slightly ported heads
-slightly ported TB
-halltech intake
-lt headers 1 7/8
-no cats
-3inch pipes from headers back to 3inch kooks x pipe to 4inch quad tips
-lg custom cam 239/242 with .650 lift 112 lsa
-titanium springs with push rods.

I put close to 5k miles on it since I brought it and the drivabilty isn't bad at all maybe just a tad bit loud but nothing I I can't handle. .

here is a couple videos of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamJ...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwfe...e_gdata_player
I would say that is a large camshaft for a 346ci motor. Sounds like it has a good tune to get the drivability down. I believe valve springs need to be checked every 10k miles. Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I would say that is a large camshaft for a 346ci motor. Sounds like it has a good tune to get the drivability down. I believe valve springs need to be checked every 10k miles. Hope this helps!
thanks for the help and input. .
Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 PM

What are the best valve springs should I buy to replace it?
Should I also change out the push rods?what else wwould be recommended to swap out?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the help and input. .
Car sounds good also!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a TSP MS4 cam, 239/242 with .649/.609 lift, 112 lsa. It's def an aggressive cam for street driving. I get a lot of cam surge if trying to baby the car around town. She loves rpms. I think with a better tune my driveability would be a lot better.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
Car sounds good also!
Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The more aggressive cams make their power in the middle/top of the RPM range, which makes them non-ideal for around town driving since most around town driving is done at lower RPM ranges. That said, a tune can work wonders on those aggressive cams to minimize low RPM surging (as mentioned above).

I would consider that an aggressive cam. As stated above, be sure to check your springs every 10K because they will get a workout. Car sounds great though. Any dyno numbers on it?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't know how many miles are on those spring I'd just change them now to be safe. These are considered some of the best springs available.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z Fury
The more aggressive cams make their power in the middle/top of the RPM range, which makes them non-ideal for around town driving since most around town driving is done at lower RPM ranges. That said, a tune can work wonders on those aggressive cams to minimize low RPM surging (as mentioned above).

I would consider that an aggressive cam. As stated above, be sure to check your springs every 10K because they will get a workout. Car sounds great though. Any dyno numbers on it?
465rwhp..I was told I can possibly get more once I change out the fuel injectors
Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fry_
If you don't know how many miles are on those spring I'd just change them now to be safe. These are considered some of the best springs available.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html
Thanks and I will look into that...what about the rockers and pushrods?
Or is it useally just the springs that need to be changed out?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Also on that link you provided it gives me an an option to choose between
.505" Locators for stock guides

.565" Locators for bronze guides

how would I go about chooseing the locators?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you probably already have good harden push rods .the trunnion bearing for the rocker should be changed if the original GM bearings are in your rocker arms .Texas Speed sells valve springs also .you will need a valve spring compress tool to swap the springs.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Just the springs would need to be changed. You would only need new pushrods if you bend one... You might look into the Comp Cams rocker arm trunion upgrade for piece of mind. As for the spring locators you would need to know if the heads had bronze valve guides installed when they were ported. You can look through the intake port and see if they are bronze or not. Odds are they put bronze guides in when they did the porting if it is making 465whp. That is more than a "little" porting even with the big cam.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Ok thanks a lot guys, I will look into all the suggestions and recommendations you guys offered
Old 12-04-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That's far more cam than ideal for daily driving in my opinion for 346c.i. What you really need to know to figure how aggressive the cam is, is find out who the cam manufacturer is and what style lobes the cam has. Lobe ramp rates & lift will determine how long valves spings will last. More aggressive ramp rates will lower valve spring life. Considering your cam has .650 intake lift, it likely has a pretty aggressive ramp rate.

What type of dyno was the car on with that 465whp? Just curious. That's big power for 243 heads on 346 c.i.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 12-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
That's far more cam than ideal for daily driving in my opinion for 346c.i. What you really need to know to figure how aggressive the cam is, is find out who the cam manufacturer is and what style lobes the cam has. Lobe ramp rates & lift will determine how long valves spings will last. More aggressive ramp rates will lower valve spring life. Considering your cam has .650 intake lift, it likely has a pretty aggressive ramp rate.

What type of dyno was the car on with that 465whp? Just curious. That's big power for 243 heads on 346 c.i.
Mine put down 436 rwhp on a similar cam on 241's. Granted it was a dynojet so it was generous. That cam is serious though. I spun the tires at the beginning of 4th gear yesterday.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by R6cowboy

Not sure what kind of dyno I was just going by what the previous owner told me but just thinking about it i honestly can't remember if he said 445 or 465rwhp. .I could of sworn he said 465 but you guys saying that might not be right so I guess its 445rwhp he said..
So with all those mods 465rwhp isnt possible for an ls6 to put down?some people put down 380rwhp on stock c5 z06. .either way the cars fast as hell and I have no traction at all 1st,2nd,and 3rd but I contribute that from the regular street tires and me still learning how to launch it correctly.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 AM

I really want to get those springs changed out because I cant afford it if something went wrong so im bringing it to my mechanic who ive been dealing with for the past 8 years and whats good about him is that he has a 550 rwhp on nitrious transam(its like the 2000-2002 model) so im sure he knows what to look for amd what needs to be changed out..hes done an amazing job on my pass vehicles and hes always tried to get me out of the imports and into the ls equipped cars.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure what kind of dyno I was just going by what the previous owner told me but just thinking about it i honestly can't remember if he said 445 or 465rwhp. .I could of sworn he said 465 but you guys saying that might not be right so I guess its 445rwhp he said..
So with all those mods 465rwhp isnt possible for an ls6 to put down?some people put down 380rwhp on stock c5 z06. .either way the cars fast as hell and I have no traction at all 1st,2nd,and 3rd but I contribute that from the regular street tires and me still learning how to launch it correctly.
It's not that 465whp isn't possible. All depends which dyno was used. My car put down 414whp on what is known to be a very low reading mustang dyno. I had half dozen or more people tell me they'd expect my car to put down 380s whp on that specific mustang dyno considering it put down 432whp on a dynojet. But I've also been told the dynojet my car was on is known to be a low reading dyno compared to other dynojets in my area. It doesn't matter because all dynos can read different numbers.

The only thing that matters here is that your car runs good and is setup properly for your use of it.

Quick Reply: is this aftermarket cam considered aggressive/radical?