Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forced induction or n/a can't decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction or n/a can't decide

since i have decided to do my e39 swap i have been doing alot of research and i have learned a ton about the ls motors, but one thing i cant decide on is if i want forced induction or n/a. My first thoughts were to build n/a and possibly do a blower later on the car. My hp goal is 500-530 at the wheels, i think this is a great goal considering the car is abit on the heavy side and anything over 550 i dont think will be very streetable in that car. All of my cars that i have built in the past have been forced induction cars, i had an s13 with an rb26 single turbo, in which i loved the sound of the spool and when boost hit it was an unreal feeling, my lasted car is my 98 gtp 3.8sc this car is all tricked out and running 12psi and the whine of that car is like a jet engine. With my e39 i want something that will be nuts when im on the gas and still tame for regular driving around and such. im sure there is both pros and cons for both setups, and i would like some input on what the general thoughts are.

thanks in advance
bryan
Old 12-28-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive always stayed NA but someday want an FI build.

big cubes with a PC but not anytime soon.

you seem to be familiar with FI so id stick with that theme.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

530whp n/a won't be very tame in almost all cases. Boost is more streetable. What motor are you thinking of going with?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I agree with badformula. FI will be much more streetable at that power level than a radical n/a setup. Unless you go big cubes, n/a will be a headache.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Teching In

the motor i will be using will be the lq9, the only reason for this is that i have the same motor in my escalade, so im familiar with the motor already

the only thing i might have an issue with is the location of the blower head, and if i can cram it in the engine bay without a ton of modification,

bryan

Quick Reply: forced induction or n/a can't decide