New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls3 swap

Hi, i have a 5.3 in my car and i am thinking on doing a LS3 swap and for what i know i could still use the trany or am i wrong or what suggestions do you have? and another thing, about the computer, i do not know nothing about the computer, could someone tell me about what i can do there.
Thank you.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The gen. IV 5.3 PCM should work with the LS3. And the tranny should be fine..
Old 12-28-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what yr 5.3 ?what is the count on the reluctor wheel ?check Texas Speed for a long block with the correct reluctor wheel for your ECM .you will need a ECM retune before you fire the engine up.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSorK
Hi, i have a 5.3 in my car and i am thinking on doing a LS3 swap and for what i know i could still use the trany or am i wrong or what suggestions do you have? and another thing, about the computer, i do not know nothing about the computer, could someone tell me about what i can do there.
Thank you.
What year is your car? I just did the ls3 swap on mine; bought a crate long block from Jegs. I got mine pre-cammed which means GM put the hot cam
in it and you get a warranty you are going to need knock sensor and cam sensor ls2 extension harnesses, map sensor relocation, the lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion box (if you want to use your stock ECU), and your stock oil pan which will have to be swapped over to the ls3. I would also recommend getting a new clutch in there as well as a slave cylinder (which most people forget then regret not doing).

If you can get your hands on one for the money I personally would do an ls6 swap but if not go with an ls3

Quick Reply: ls3 swap