Sponsored by:

Look at my block

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 AM
dig
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look at my block

So I picked up my first LM7 a few days ago, acquired a stand/hoist and went at it all night tearing it down and getting it mounted on the stand. This is my first time disassembling and engine like this and re building one, I snapped a few pictures, can anyone tell me how it looks after being broken down?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

It's hard to see the cylinder because of the lighting but the heads look good and are showing signs of routine oil changes because no sludge. The water jackets look a bit rusty though as if only water was ran through it at one time grab a straight edge and check the deck and heads for straightness.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What did the oil pan look like? Any sludge build up? If you haven't cleaned it yet run a magnet thru it and check for metal flakes. Same is true for the oil filter if you still have it open it up and look for metal. If it's clean then you know that there are no major failures in the bearings and lifters.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 PM
dig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MadFirehawk86
It's hard to see the cylinder because of the lighting but the heads look good and are showing signs of routine oil changes because no sludge. The water jackets look a bit rusty though as if only water was ran through it at one time grab a straight edge and check the deck and heads for straightness.
I think this may have been a flood vehicle? There was a lot of dirty and stuff under the intake manifold. I will check the deck for straightness tonight
Old 01-12-2014, 05:08 PM
dig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss performance
What did the oil pan look like? Any sludge build up? If you haven't cleaned it yet run a magnet thru it and check for metal flakes. Same is true for the oil filter if you still have it open it up and look for metal. If it's clean then you know that there are no major failures in the bearings and lifters.
I ran a magnet through the oil pan and found no metal flakes, the pan looked good, there was no sludge or anything out of the ordinary from what I saw. The oil pan was drained before it was shipped but there was nothing crazy going on in the pan.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:10 PM
dig
Staging Lane

Tried to get a better picture of the cylinder wall.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my LS1 there was a ton of debris under the intake, not a big issue.

No sludge in the pan means the oil was changed frequently, no metal means there is no problems with the bearings, cam or lifters. It doesn't look like there is any excessive wear or gouges in the cylinder you took the picture of.

It looks like you have a pretty good engine there.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

How many miles on that motor?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
dig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by turbotbirds
How many miles on that motor?
unknown

Quick Reply: Look at my block