Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket in a parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticket in a parking lot

Last night I got a ticket in a parking lot for careless driving for a burnout. I have had a few people tell me that I cant get tickets in a parking lot because it is private property or something along those lines and the cop can only ask you to leave. Not only did I get the ticket but the cop didnt check any boxes for the offense and didnt explain my options, tell me where to pay, how to pay, or anything relating to points. First question is can he give the ticket in a parkinglot. Second question is doesnt he have to explain the ticket and paying options and all that?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I went through the police academy here in Houston. ( decided not be a cop). And our instructor told us, unless the people that own that parking lot have their own police department; they are not allowed to give out traffic violations on private property. A police officer is a public servant and enforces law on public access ways not private property.
Unless there was some sort of radical law change in the last 6 years, i could be wrong.
Please, someone correct me.

Jeremy
Old 05-15-2004, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

That same thing almost happened to me one time. I was playing around in the parking lot where I work and a cop tried to give me a ticket for careless driving and it came down to the judge which said it was up to the owner. Of course the owner said it was fine b/c he was in the car w/ me. Didnt have to pay anything.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well around here I know that most parking lots have a little sign at the entrance telling you that the parking lot is under the jurisdiction of the local police.

I guess it means that the owner signed an agreement giving the police the right to patrol there???
Old 05-15-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think a big deal about the big scandalous KMart raid here in Houston was they had no trespassing signs or something visible. I dont know if that is what gave the cops the authority?!?!? But they do have a viiolation for cutting thorough a private drive, that is private property. I got stopped for it once, the "drive" I cut through was a friends Dad's shop and I was checking if he was there. He wasnt so i continued on to be pulled over after leaving. I called my friends Dad and he came out and told the cop off. Sometimes they (cops) can be real d**kfaces.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Sometimes they (cops) can be real d**kfaces.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Florida traffic laws are only enforceable on public streets.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea, parking lots are off limits pretty much. If you have a accident there, and we get called to it, you just get a blue form to fill out. We can't do anything about it. Just like the stop signs in the parking lots. You don't have to stop at them because traffic law only applys on the highway, and the highway is basically from treeline to treeline, or telephone pole to telephone pole, so to say. So unless they have some kind of city code or policy, you should be in the clear.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

the parking lot where we have our local "car show" on fridays is police enforced, the store owners want and give the cops permission to enforce the laws, and they "throw us out" at 10pm when the car show is over... its all because of the "fast and furious" generation who act like idiots... we hung out there for yrs with no problems until that movie came out...
Old 05-16-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Patrolman808
Yea, parking lots are off limits pretty much. If you have a accident there, and we get called to it, you just get a blue form to fill out. We can't do anything about it. Just like the stop signs in the parking lots. You don't have to stop at them because traffic law only applys on the highway, and the highway is basically from treeline to treeline, or telephone pole to telephone pole, so to say. So unless they have some kind of city code or policy, you should be in the clear.
That is exactly how it is done in Tenn. I found out the hard way when a BEEATCH backed into my new truck. Allthough I had 2 witnesses that saw the girl smack me (while I was NOT even moving), Darn cop couldn't do crap about it... No Ticket, No Report...

Next time someone bumps me in the parking lot, I may 'accidentally' have to back into their crap 2 or 3 times just to be even...
Uhh, Duh, Sorry Officer, I am kind of new to this whole clutch thing and my truck kept rolling back into the other car after they dinged me!

I gotta get a work ride with a BIGGER steel bumper (just to be safe)!
Old 05-16-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

this is pretty interesting, if you fight it though couldn't the owner decide to press charges for property damage?
Old 05-16-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike K.
this is pretty interesting, if you fight it though couldn't the owner decide to press charges for property damage?
Yeah, I guess they could...

But like the cop told told me after that girl smacked me:
"I sure am sorry son, BUT, I did not actually witness this accident and this is private property, so you are kind of on your own here... "

And yeah, I probably could have took off work, paid for a lawyer, missed more work to go to court, and MAYBE been able to convince a judge that the girl really did damage my car... (spend/lose $800 to get $400???)

After you get screwed real good in a parking lot or two your thinking changes a little...

Let's see... My bumper is allready dented real good... Darn, Where was that brake pedal at??? OOPS...
Old 05-16-2004, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm... interresting.... it depends on the situation...i supose...
if there were people around you when you did it then he would have probable cause to intervine in the intrest of public safety...
even on private property you cant do ANYTHING that you want....
but if it was empty and the owner did not mind then i guess it would be ok...

any chance you can talk to the owner and get them to drop the charges?
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Launching!

It happens to be the parking lot where i work and I was getting off, so the owner probably would either 1) yell at me for doing in his parking lot or 2) back me up and say he doesnt want to press charges. This info is interesting because I know someone who got in a accident in a parking lot and got a ticket for it. I might just have to do a little further research and maybe fight this. I need to go find out if i get points for it or not sense the officer did not take the time to explain it at all.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:44 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no police officer, and I'm definately not offering any advice ... however, the parking lot in front of where I work there are constantly county police giving out tickets there. .... i know because i got one. 75 bucks, ow.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

I was caught doing that several (actually many) years ago in a high school parking lot and the police officer told me he could not write me a ticket since it was not a public road, but that he could arrest me. He then proceeded with the famous statement, "if I ever catch you doing this again..." He never did.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem guys is that private property in public view is a bit different than a secluded lot off the highway. Your right to swing your fist stops where the next guy's chin starts. So think about your surroundings when you blast on it, and you get way less po po intervention.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

i got the same ticket, luckily she found out my GF worked at starbucks and she took the ticket back
Old 05-16-2004, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

^^^ can police take tickets back??? my one friend's dad is a first district detective and he got a ticket for a d.u.i. when my other friend who was in the car told her that his dad was a detective, she said i wish you would of told me about that before i reported it or something.

this thread reminds me, on this one board there is a thread called "ask a cop" if we have more police than the one who just posted, i think we should make a forum.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAdriven98
Last night I got a ticket in a parking lot for careless driving for a burnout. I have had a few people tell me that I cant get tickets in a parking lot because it is private property or something along those lines and the cop can only ask you to leave. Not only did I get the ticket but the cop didnt check any boxes for the offense and didnt explain my options, tell me where to pay, how to pay, or anything relating to points. First question is can he give the ticket in a parkinglot. Second question is doesnt he have to explain the ticket and paying options and all that?

1. Depends on your state. I do not know the Florida traffic laws, you will have to read up on it. Do not take advice from people outside of your state, traffic laws are determined state to state. In my main home state, private property tickets are allowed for Careless and Reckless driving, even in your own front or back yard, regardless if the owner allows it or not.

2. Call the number on the ticket. Ask to speak with his supervisor. If he violated policy, you should be able to make a complaint.