New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an "LS6" Trans Am tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an "LS6" Trans Am tomorrow

I have always been an Import kinda guy. I've owned a lot of different tuner cars but now I'm ready to join the dark side lol.

I'm going to look at a trans am tomorrow. It has had alot of work done.
It was originally a 95 with the lt1 but he swapped over a 2002 ws6 body. The engine, tranny and rear end were replaced with the drivetrain from an 02 z06 along with the ecu. He says the car has cams, headers, catback, intake and was tuned on a dyno at 396rwhp. Is that a legit amount of power with those mods?

Basically I want to know-
How can I tell if its an ls1 or ls6?
What are some common problems that I should look out for?
What is a fair price when buying a car like this?

Thanks for reading my post.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look for the 243 number on the heads and the ls6 intake should have a number, but I forgot it. And and if he said that he swapped the rear and tranny from the z06 to the trans am then he is probably lying, unless he would go through all that trouble to swap the rear and tranny. But Im sure no one in their right mind would swap those over to the TA.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Empatho
Look for the 243 number on the heads and the ls6 intake should have a number, but I forgot it. And and if he said that he swapped the rear and tranny from the z06 to the trans am then he is probably lying, unless he would go through all that trouble to swap the rear and tranny. But Im sure no one in their right mind would swap those over to the TA.
He said he had it done at a reputable mechanic shop in Tx. He as receipts for the drivetrain swap as well. If it is a complete swap, what would be a good price for the car?

*The z06 it came from rolled over and he said he bought the complete drivetrain for 5250*
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The corvette came with independent rear and the TA with a solid rear, it would be a pain to swap them over and really expensive. Anything is possible with skill and money tho. Ask him to give you some pics and then post them up here.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

highly unlikely he swapped from live rear axle (f body) to IRS (vette)

ls1 /ls6 both would have single cam not cams , all LS engines are single cam pushrod engines.

a tuned bolt on ls6 could surely be approaching 400 whp

theres lots of well modded cars posted for sale on this forum , I would suggest starting there as you can search sellers posts and see any issues they have had and if they were properly addressed on top of just general history of the car.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by murphinator
highly unlikely he swapped from live rear axle (f body) to IRS (vette)

ls1 /ls6 both would have single cam not cams , all LS engines are single cam pushrod engines.

a tuned bolt on ls6 could surely be approaching 400 whp

theres lots of well modded cars posted for sale on this forum , I would suggest starting there as you can search sellers posts and see any issues they have had and if they were properly addressed on top of just general history of the car.
Lol I guess I should have said cammed. Im used to dohc cars. Sooooooo how much should I be paying. He swears it has the rear end in it, but even if he doesnt how much do you think?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he is lying about that then I'm sure he is lying about other things.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The engine, tranny and rear end were replaced with the drivetrain from an 02 z06 along with the ecu."

No.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar
"The engine, tranny and rear end were replaced with the drivetrain from an 02 z06 along with the ecu."

No.
Lol a lot of you guys are bigger *** holes than the DSM guys. I am just asking for input, not ridicule or smart *** comments. Now if you have something productive to add, please be my guest. Otherwise move along buddy. Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

it sounds like a decent car but i highly doubt it has an IRS.

if it does that would be pretty cool though.

i am a smart *** but ill try not be one in this situation.

pics of car and receipts if you can thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Holt696
Lol a lot of you guys are bigger *** holes than the DSM guys. I am just asking for input, not ridicule or smart *** comments. Now if you have something productive to add, please be my guest. Otherwise move along buddy. Thanks
hey can you get any pics that would help alot,i understand what these guys are saying the IRS would be a "way overboard" thing especially for an Fbody but not impossible the pics will tell the truth sir good luck though
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds sketchy to me. I don't know what your budget is but there a lot of these cars out there that are probably less "tampered" with. You'd be better off buying a more stockish car and learning the mods yourself. I know you can save money buying a car already modded. I wouldn't trust anybody that I didn't know modding it and if it was professionally modded I'd want detailed documents from whoever did it then make sure it's a reputable shop. I'd say this car will turn into a headache. In my opinion.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Bring a guy who knows these cars to see if it was a hackjob or if anything is "fishy".

If it checks out I say go for it. If something seems sketchy..walk away.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why everyone is calling BS on someone swapping a complete Corvette drivetrain into a f-body.

You'd likely have to change the length of the torque tube, alter the shifter location, and probably loose the back seat to make room for the transmission.

I'd say either the seller is stupid and thinks it's true, a lier and thinks your stupid enough to believe it, or both and doesn't know how ridiculous of a claim it is and thinks you'll believe it. Also to do just engine and transmission the trans. would need a lot of f-body parts, bell housing, tail housing, and shifter are the big ones that I can think of, and the engine would need a completely different front accessory drive and a different throttle body. I'd bet it's a LS1 with Corvette fuel rail covers and if your lucky it has 243 heads.

Quick Reply: Buying an "LS6" Trans Am tomorrow