Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam select

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam select

So I have a 2001 6 speed Camaro ls1 all stock I'm looking to swap the heads with some 243 heads but I'm not sure what size cam to use on it I want to bring up the power as much as possible with just heads and cam for now just to get it back on the road and also would I need to swap the oil pump as well for a higher flow?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id upgrade to an ls2 timing chain as well.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

It all depends on the supporting mods and goals of your build. Do a ton of research and ask lots of questions but most importantly contact a reputable company for a cam recommendation once you establish your goals and supporting mods you are willing, able and have budget to accomplish. I would recommend a call to Cam Motion, I favor their personal service and quality cams. There are also quite a few other great cam gurus on this forum who can make solid recommendations.

Yes, any reputable builder would recommend you to at least swap out your oil pump. I personally run a LS6 pump with a little home porting and shimmed spring.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd get a higher flow fuel pump, 36/42# injectors and either a ported stock oil pump or a Melling. All our fairly cheap. Like mentioned LS2 chain and LS2 lifter trays won't hurt either.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what rear end ,and clutch will you be using ? the stock GM 10 bolt won't last long with a M6 .
Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Teching In

So when I bought the car I checked it for leaks jus the obvious power steering pump was leaking I was like oh no big deal couple weeks later I get knock sensor code so I pull the manifold replace sensors and harness code came back up looking into it found my oil leaking into my coolant I figured some heads and a cam would be a good idea so I should save up for a while before putting it back on the road?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:08 AM

There are also quite a few other great cam gurus on this forum who can make solid recommendations.

Quick Reply: cam select