Sponsored by:

just bought my 4th gen! couple questions too

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought my 4th gen! couple questions too

Hello! can't say how pumped I am now with my new TA

it's a 2000 with 35k, traded in my old 90 3rd gen firebird.

been searching the 4th gen boards and learning all I can about my new car.

still, I have a few questions I can't seem to answer for myself by searching.

there's a noise I just can't identify... after reading all about piston slap and detonation I just can't belive either of these is the problem. it sounds like a small stone or piece of gravel hitting sheet metal, could it be part of the emisions somehow or maybe the exhaust or ac? we have a new Silverado work truck and it makes the same kinda noise, but louder. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to modern vehicles and the noise doesn't seem attributed to the engine, or braking or steering, there's always lots of smooth power, but it does sound like it's coming from right in front of the driver in the engine compartment, or thereabouts. and finally, it happens maybe once every couple of miles.

I'm just going crazy not knowing

and also the transmission seems louder than in my old firebird, doesn't sound like there's anything wrong at all, just a little louder than other vehicles I've driven... nothing wrong with it, I've given it some good exercise lately coming from a 305tbi this thing is like a friggin race car... maybe I'm just paranoid while getting used to my new cars sound?

thanks all
Matt

Last edited by 00Pontiac; 06-01-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

That car looks sweet, you will have a lot of fun with it, i dont know what the noises you are talking about are but on my car i have a couple of noises like that every once in a while.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the valve train is pretty noisy on LS-1's. Check to see if you can hear the noise on the passenger side too. Stand on each side and compare. The tranni is pretty noisy. Especially if you have an aftermarket shifter. Not much soundproofing in these cars.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

nice color
Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

thanks, I was kinda hoping these are just normal sounds in our cars.

I'll try that Dal1as, no aftermarket shifter tho that I know of tho... got it from a dealer and there was little to no info on it, I paid for a car check (thru auto-trader) and it was clean at least.

5.0hater, I like your color too, and your nic