New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this..?

After looking at images of engine bays, I noticed my 02 Z28 has an air filter of some sort that doesn't appear to be in any vehicle pictures I've seen. This is in addition to the standard air filter. The hose its connected to loops back from the drivers side to behind the engine under the windshield towards the passenger side. From there I lose sight. Any ideas?

Thanks,
J

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like its part of this system.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...gr-delete.html
Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 AM

Which brings me to ask why is there an air filter attached a deleted system?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After market lid. It usually goes into the lid stock So they probably put it on there so it wouldn't clog the pump
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by babbage1109
After market lid. It usually goes into the lid stock So they probably put it on there so it wouldn't clog the pump
This is correct. The AIR system wasn't deleted, otherwise there would be no hose to connect this filter too.

Many years ago, there weren't any aftermarket lids that had a provision for the AIR tube fitting that went into the stock air box. This is because the '98-'99 cars didn't have this tube, so when the factory change was made for model year 2000, the aftermarket lids hadn't yet caught up to the design change. So the solution was to simply use a smaller breather filter in the AIR tube.

Later, SLP introduced an air lid that included the provision and allowed the factory AIR line to be plugged directly into the air box like stock. But they also continued to offer a lid for the '98-'99 cars with a plug to block off this provision since the earlier cars didn't need it. In your picture above, you can see this block off plug on the driver's side edge of the lid. So basically what happened here is that someone put a '98-'99 lid on this car and therefore had to use the old method of a breather filter to deal with the AIR line. This isn't bad or a problem at all, nor do you need to "fix" it, it will work just fine as it did many years ago. But if you wanted to get the correct '00+ version of the lid, it would come with the proper fitting to attach that hose to the air lid and delete that filter. This would be purely cosmetic though, and only if it bothers you.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Ok makes sense. I'll just maintain it like a regular filter. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: What is this..?