Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Pan Leaking - 3rd time replacing gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Transmission Pan Leaking - 3rd time replacing gasket

It seems every transmission pan I install (twice on 4l60e, and now a 4l80e) leaks heavily. I follow the proper torque sequence and proper torque values, but they all leak - some even leak A LOT. I've used rubber and cork gaskets, both giving the same results... Initially they don't leak, but as I drive it and let it sit in the garage it starts leaking more and more.

Any tips? Wth could be going wrong?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Perhaps the torque wrench isn't calibrated well.

I've never once used a torque wrench for a trans pan, and the worst that's ever happened was a minor seep from one or two bolt heads after the first heat cycle. A slight re-torque has always corrected this with no issues.

So either:

A) You have significantly under-torqued the bolts and tightening it up further will stop the seepage.

or

B) You have significantly over-torqued causing the gasket to split/distort, thus requiring a new gasket.

In either instance, something isn't right with the torque wrench if you're following factory specs and getting these results.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
It seems every transmission pan I install (twice on 4l60e, and now a 4l80e) leaks heavily. I follow the proper torque sequence and proper torque values, but they all leak - some even leak A LOT. I've used rubber and cork gaskets, both giving the same results... Initially they don't leak, but as I drive it and let it sit in the garage it starts leaking more and more.

Any tips? Wth could be going wrong?
Are you using the cork or paper style gaskets? I do whatever I can to stay away from the cork gaskets as it is very easy to over torque them which leads to leaking issues.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Usually its not the pan gasket leaking in the 1st place, could be any number of connections including the dip stick tube. The fluid runs downs and collects around the pan so it looks like the gasket is leaking. Look around above the pan to see what looks wet with trans fluid.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might have over torqued the pan at one time and might have warped the pan, if you have a straight edge you can see it or a metal ruler to check the gap, the pan is a thin it warps easy. replace pan or straighten it out.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

First off which pan is it, stock stamped steel?

If so then it's warped around the bolt holes, they need to be hammered flush.. And even then it might not be straight..

I went to a tci aluminum pan because it has thick flanges like our oil pans do and I didn't want to play around with the stock pan too much..
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've used both rubber and cork gaskets with bad results. I will check the pan to see if the bolts are flush - all the pans have been the stock stamped steel pans.

Used two different torque wrenches w/ same results - I'm starting to think it is the pan
Old 09-01-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've used both rubber and cork gaskets with bad results. I will check the pan to see if the bolts are flush - all the pans have been the stock stamped steel pans. Used two different torque wrenches w/ same results - I'm starting to think it is the pan
what are you torquing to?

Should be 10-12ft lbs
Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've used both rubber and cork gaskets with bad results. I will check the pan to see if the bolts are flush - all the pans have been the stock stamped steel pans.

Used two different torque wrenches w/ same results - I'm starting to think it is the pan
Did the pans leak before you removed and reinstalled them? If not, then any issue is the result of an under-or-over torquing situation on your part and not a previously damaged pan. If this has happened with several pans (no leaks before, then constant leaks after you have R&R'ed them), then I would consider both torque wrenches to be suspect. That's assuming you're using the correct TQ spec (7-10 lb-ft is the GM service manual spec.) They are somewhat forgiving though, again I've never once used a torque wrench for this and the worst that ever happened was a minor seep that could be sealed up with a slight re-torque after the first heat cycle (and usually not even this.)
Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had better luck re using the stock gasket than using any rubber or cork gasket
Old 09-07-2015, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you overtorqued. Just make sure the pan is straight, and snug it up by hand with a t-handle or stubby ratchet.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 318 Likes on 175 Posts

Could it be the rear main seal? Mine use to leak to where it looked like the oil pan gasket was the one leaking.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CoreyD
Could it be the rear main seal? Mine use to leak to where it looked like the oil pan gasket was the one leaking.
I doubt that would be the case in this instance, it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between trans fluid and engine oil.....unless perhaps the trans is really fried.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Inspect the pan for signs of overtorque, like the holes
are dimpled upward. Pound them flat if need be. But
if this is all on one trans and the leaks always in the
same place, could be a housing porosity or crack
problem? What's the consistency picture here?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Default Gasket?

I know question is old. But i didn't see any reply as to the gasket itself. The Gasket can be moved during reinstall, i have seen it happen. Have you put a little dab of permatex, Red, gasket sealer a dot every few inches will keep it from slipping. Only use it on the Pan side. Not the top side were it seal's on transmission itself, this way the surface of transmission will remain Clean and smooth. Never scrape transmission area as it can get scratches may cause leaking. If any old gasket material is left on areas it also can cause leaking. Hope this helps other's running into this post. As I did in 2021
Old 12-09-2021, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Usually its not the pan gasket leaking in the 1st place, could be any number of connections including the dip stick tube. The fluid runs downs and collects around the pan so it looks like the gasket is leaking. Look around above the pan to see what looks wet with trans fluid.

Just an update to this thread --- The guy above was right. On the 4L60E (changed the gasket TWICE) and the 4L80E, the leak was in fact actually coming from the main electrical plug on the side. Fluid was seeping in through the pins, would leak down slowly to the pan and look like a pan gasket failure
The following 2 users liked this post by TXjeepTJ:
EricFJ80 (04-24-2024), pdxmotorhead (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just an update to this thread --- The guy above was right. On the 4L60E (changed the gasket TWICE) and the 4L80E, the leak was in fact actually coming from the main electrical plug on the side. Fluid was seeping in through the pins, would leak down slowly to the pan and look like a pan gasket failure
Thanks for coming back to this all these years later with an update. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
The following users liked this post:
pdxmotorhead (12-09-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 12:05 AM

I have done several of these on my 4L60E and have never used a torque wrench. I snug them up by feel in the pattern recommended. I have always used the rubber gasket but have always also used a small amount of RTV mostly to hold the gasket in place. When Im torquing the bolts I will repeat the process 3 times as I have found that one time is definitely not enough and even after twice I can still feel slight differences in how tight one bolt is compared to another. I have never even had to go back and re-tighten any of them due to the pan having a leak. Maybe give this method a try. The cork gaskets are crap in my opinion, too easy to overtighten and smash them.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

TXjeepTJ, A++

Thank you for the follow up!
It's always great to know the outcome and issue.

Quick Reply: Transmission Pan Leaking - 3rd time replacing gasket